Fitting HID's

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
The HID kit isn't specificaly designed for the Twingo, so theres no right or wrong way to actualy install it. A lot will actualy depend on the spec of your model and accesories etc as to where things can actualy fit, but there should be no need for cutting or drillingto get them installed.

The wiring connectors in the kit are fairly self explanatory as the connectors are different styles so you can only connect the correct cables together between bulb and ballast

On the drivers side, I had some free space to mount the ballast resistor box and there was a hole already there to be used for the mounting bolt. Getting the nut and washer on the bottom side of the mounting bracket was fiddly. I covered the underside of the ballast box with sticky backed foam to protect the paintwork.
_DSC9235.jpg

I connected the the -ve lead to the chassis using the stud which normaly secures the A/C pipes. I just cleaned off a small patch of paint from the stud, where the nut goes on
_DSC9247.jpg

The normal headlight bulb connector is redundant on the drivers side, so I tucked this in to the back of the light housing on and can be seen next to the new HID bulb. The new cable also fits in the slot.
_DSC9239.jpg

I routed the long cable across the back of the engine bay, using the rubber strip and tywraps, cut down and folded over the lip to secure it.
_DSC9234.jpg

_DSC9246.jpg

On the passenger side, the headlight bulb connector needs to be connected onto the new loom for the HID's. Trying to fit all the cables in the slot was going to be too tight, so I left the connector in the engine bay instead.
_DSC9244.jpg

I wedged the ballast box in the bottom of the battery tray with some foam sheet, then used a couple of tywraps around the battery to secure the top of the ballast and keep the cables tidy.
_DSC9242.jpg

The HID 12v supply has it's own inline fuse, so should be safe connecting to the main side of the battery connector so long as the un-fused cable can't rub against the chassis or -ve terminal of the battery
_DSC9240.jpg

I stuck the relay onto the battery with the foam sticky pads and the cables are held by the tywrap mentioned for the ballast. The passenger side grounding lead is attached to one of the studs on the battery -ve terminal
_DSC9241.jpg

It's not a perfect instalation, but is tidy enough and hasn't given me any problems so far ;)

Wish mine was that tidy :lol:

I'm sure I'll get round to tidying it one day, couldn't be arses drilling the holes for the ballast brackets!

There was no drilling for me. that's why I ended up with the drivers side ballast there, as there was space and a hole was free to use

I failed to fit my ballasts using the brackets - I'll have another look at the drivers side but I'm not sure I've got he hole you used.
I routed across the front of the engine bay as I didn't want to run the wires above the exhausts - it was a bit fiddly but as long as you avoid getting it caught in the bonnet catch it should be fine.
I also tucked the original connectors inside the headlight housing, but as you say the passenger side hole is too small - so I enlarged it. I figured keeping the connectors out of any possible moisture if it rained was a good thing.
Where did you ground the passenger side? I'm afraid I went straight to the battery terminal...

Mork":olgkksel said:
I didn't want to run the wires above the exhausts - it was a bit fiddly but as long as you avoid getting it caught in the bonnet catch it should be fine.
Theres a few engine wires with similar plastic conduit, located nearer the exhaust manifold than where I ran the HID loom. So decided it should be OK. So far, and nearing 1200 miles since fitting, it's fine

I also tucked the original connectors inside the headlight housing, but as you say the passenger side hole is too small - so I enlarged it. I figured keeping the connectors out of any possible moisture if it rained was a good thing.
I might have another look at that, if everything fits :)

Where did you ground the passenger side? I'm afraid I went straight to the battery terminal
Just added another pic (second one down). With the ground on the drivers side of the loom, it was easiest to bond it to the chassis. Just made sure there was a bit of metal showing where the nut goes onto the otherwise painted stud. The ground on the passenger side went to one ot the studs on the battery -ve terminal

RS GORDINI":32b1xggv said:
Does the cover go back on the back of the headlight ok.
Certainly does as I currently have it.

As Mork mentioned, by enlarging the slot on the passenger side to take the extra wiring, he managed to get the original bulb connector (this one plugs into the HID loom and is used to switch on/off the HID system) in the back of the light.

Whilst at FCS, I had a look at the install by Jra3d, which looks very neat. So I changed mine a bit, relocating the left hand ballast unit , which is now held down with sticky foam pads and controller which is tywrapped inplace near the ECU. I also enlarged the hole in the back of the left hand headlight to allow the original bulb connector to go inside the headlight

5811923378_a8076e1806_b_d.jpg

The cable from the controller, accross to the right hand ballast is now tywrapped to the existing engine cable for the MAP sensor allong the back of the intake plenum chamber
5811927866_625d0a98e5_b_d.jpg

I widend the holes in the back of the lights and stuffed all the cables into the back o the lights ;)

This is why I recommend the HIDS4U kit, there's no need to use the battery or run cables anywhere.

They just plug into the existing H4 socket, and that's it.

Graham":dioacfyi said:
This is why I recommend the HIDS4U kit, there's no need to use the battery or run cables anywhere.

They just plug into the existing H4 socket, and that's it.
It comes at a price though which is a two or three times premium over other kits... There will still be cables to/from the headlight/ballast box on each side.

Yes, they are expensive, call me a muppet for spending the amount I did. But my kit still works 3yrs later as it did on day one and I still recommend their kit over anything else. Only thing I had to replace was a ballast, and this was January this year. So 2.5yrs without no problems. But this was my fault as I didn't clean the area I was sticking the ballast to properly, after a month of fitting it to my friends Fiesta, it fell off and was dangling down, hitting the road!! Ballast was fubered haha!!

You get a more OEM/cleaner install with the HIDS4U kit. You can hide the ballasts/starters behind the bumpers/headlights etc. And you don't have no wires running around the engine bay, or need a primary/secondary source of power from the battery.

Hi peeps,I just fitted my HID kit from Hatton Performance,which i would highly recommend :D , Im really struggling to run the main wiring loom across the top of the engine,there are no holes to run cable ties through..
Please could someone take a pic of your wiring loom installation ;)
Thanks!!!

TheDon":1g5ec47y said:
Hi peeps,I just fitted my HID kit from Hatton Performance,which i would highly recommend :D , Im really struggling to run the main wiring loom across the top of the engine,there are no holes to run cable ties through..
Please could someone take a pic of your wiring loom installation ;)
Thanks!!!
Matbry01 on photo bucket there is a thew on where I have put stuff also as u look at me enguin bay shot o ran it under the lip where tue bonnet release is ;)