Intake and throttle body clean up

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
Right, don't get too excited, I haven't been playing yet. Though if worth it, I will be tempted.

Just wondering if anyone has had the TB and intake off a 133 and knows how good or bad the castings are, with steps and leftover flashing that could be trimmed and smoothed.

the manifolds can do with some porting to match them up like the clios i've been told. i didnt take mine off my self a garage had a look when car was dropped off to them. was not not a bad as clio their clio cup racer they did but still could do with a bit of a tidy up.
if it helps an italian member has cleaned up their TB as well

throttle_body.JPG

throttle_body_mount.JPG

no need to match the TB. the manifold could be another chapter... didn't take it off yet.

Nice one Fredi.

I have just had the airbox and intake pipework off, to see if any fettling was required to the plastic.They were a higher quality than my old Vauxhall astra, but still some room for improvement. Ended up spending some time with the dremmel and then 150, 300 and 800 grit sandpaper to remove the dips and ridges from the mouldings and also rounding the edges where the tubes join into the rubber hoses and airbox, ready for some silicone hoses and BMC pannel filter

Whilst the airbox was out of the way, I had a look at the TB and found that there was a step (aproximately 1mm) at the bottom of the manifold. Slackening the 4 mounting bolts allowed me to lift the TB as the mounting holes have some clearance around the bolts, so there is no longer a step to the incomming air. Obviously the TB shouldn't have a step where meeting the manifold as it is 2mm smaller ( i measured 67mm and 65mm) , if it was mounted centrally, but the mounting holes must be off center

Rain then stopped play, so it was all quickly re-assembled :evil:

Anyone know if theres any bolts hidden at the back of the upper inlet manifold, before I try removing it next time :?:
How does the intake scoop come away from the slam pannel :?:

singlespeed":esi0nuwy said:
(i measured 67mm and 65mm)

that's the clearance between the screws I measured there. not the hole diameter of the TB and the plenum. wanted to see if a clio 200 TB would fit. but it's the same diameter (62mm) anyway. probably the same TB aswell :)

Anyone know if theres any bolts hidden at the back of the upper inlet manifold, before I try removing it next time :?:
How does the intake scoop come away from the slam pannel :?:

there are two screws on the back that hold the plenum on the head. there's also a hole in the bottom of the plenum sealed with a rubber gasket for the crank-case ventilation system that's on top of the cylinderhead. if you unmount it, make sure you have that gasket in spare.

for the scoop, you've got the main screw which can be undone from the bonnie open. there is also clips holding it onto the panel at the front so you'll need to take bumper off. i ripped mine out and only brokeone of the 4 clips, and it was quite a tug to get it off.

i got bored and lined my airbox with carbon on the inside but never through to find out if it affect temps in the box

i wonder if it would be possible to take the inlet off and get the ports matched on the head and inlet without having to take the head off? i'd think that would give a good gain but i dont wont to ask my local engineer guru incase he laughs in my face...

would be an off job. head work is great but costly by the looks of it if its flow tested etc. the 800 series has had a reworked head comapred to old k4ms due to catcams having to make a new set. not sure if it would be needed but my exhaust place said it would be worth a shot to get max gains if you've got money to throw at it.
just a shame its drive-by-wire, would be nice to have a bigger throttle on there

absolutely no need for a bigger throttle, orb... check the MAP readings on your scangauge. you have almost atmospheric pressure with half opened throttle at 7000rpm... it won't get better than that. the same TB is also sufficient for the 2.0 clio engines.

Appologies for the number dyslexia yesterday, I had quickly measures a 2mm difference with a steel rule and then confused myself with the dimensions. With a dry morning, I have found my verniers and pulled the TB off to measure acurately.

The diameter of the plennum inlet is 63.76mm ( measured horizontaly due to access limitations). As Fredi said, the exit side of the TB is 62.0mm, which gives a step up of this ammount>>
_DSC9188.jpg

So in theory, the incoming air shouldn't see a step when exiting the TB into the plenum chamber, except when the mounting holes are not drilled correctly... Hence why I used the free play on the bolts and lifted my TB. It isn't going to make much difference, however, every little bit will help

_DSC9191.jpg

Still some work required, probably gluing the inlet pipe into the bottom of the airbox and smooth it out properly, with a rounded lip.

Samco hoses ordered with the resonator delete hose for the bottom end of the airbox ;) 4 weeks to wait for them :cry:

Upper intake manifold removal
Whilst this isn’t particularly difficult, theres quite a bit of working blind to remove five bolts and a couple of hoses behind the manifold, where access is limited.

View behind the manifold, showing cable secured to the top of the manifold and breather pipe behind the heatshield
24042011094.jpg

_DSC9449.jpg

Tools required:-
7 and 8mm sockets
T20 bit
Small flat blade screwdriver

1. Remove the top of the airfilter box (T20 bit) and the inlet hose (7mm for jubilee) to the throttle body. remove the crankcase breather hose from the elbow fitting instead of trying to remove it from the rear of the manifold.

2. Remove the cables from the front of the manifold:-
2a. remove the spark plug coil connectors bt pressing down on the tab then use a screwdriver to gently pull back
_DSC9453.jpg

2b. Remove the wire retaining clip then pull off the connector. Here, the retaining wire is back in place.
_DSC9451.jpg

2c. The cable retaining clips pull free with a little force or you could cut the ty-wraps, allowing the loom to be moved out of the way.

3. Remove the throttle body:-
3a. Push against the tab with a small screwdriver to release the connector
_DSC9450.jpg

3b. Undo the four bolts (8mm) holding the throttle body to the plenum

4. Remove the two hoses and sensor from the rear of the manifold:-
4a. The hose on the passenger side is released by pressing down on the grey tab, then pulling the hose off.
_DSC9445.jpg

4b. The sensor on the drivers side can be pulled free (upwards) as it is only held in by an o-ring. I disconnected it before realising, as can be seen in the pic below

4c. The hose on the drivers side is released by pressing in against on the black tab, then pulling the hose off.
_DSC9443.jpg

4d. Either cut the three ty-wraps or pull the securing tabs free to release the loom from the manifold
_DSC9455.jpg

5. Remove the three horizontal bolts (8mm) securing the heatshield to the back of the manifold

6. Remove the two vertical bolts (8mm) securing the back of the manifold to the cam cover.

7. Remove the remaining six bolts (8mm) that are visible

8. Lift the manifold free from the locating spigots at the front, then remove out from the passenger side, paying attention to not damage the breather seal on the underside of the plenum.
_DSC9447.jpg

Throttle body and manifold clean up
Theres was a lip, shown here on either side of the butterfly.
_DSC9188.jpg

After some work with the Dremel and sanding drum, followed by some 500 grit paper to remove the lip and also match the TB to the plenum inlet :)
_DSC9458.jpg

_DSC9456.jpg

The casting of the manifold is quite good quality, only requiring minor fettling to remove any prominent lumps and bumps. There is probably room for improvement where the upper and lower inlets meet but this would take a while to do, besides needing the lower manifold off, so left for later ;)
_DSC9461.jpg

_DSC9459.jpg

I know k-tec are not the most popular around here but they have matched inlet manifolds fitted to 2 twingo RS's and are hoping to sell them soon. One of those twingos also has a sports cat fitted within the standard manifold.

Hmm got a little question, u are calling that "door" "Butterfly". Is that the name of it or just a kind of pet name?

TripNip":270o3dy3 said:
Butterfly is the type of valve in the throttle body. It's the technical term for the valve.
Ok, thanks ;) asked me a long time how that thingy is called in english.