Mallory Park - 24/04/14

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltimateGreen

Reaction score
Going on my first track day with my 133 on the 24th at Mallory Park. Looking forward to seeing how the car performs, I can imagine it will drive very well! :)

I've just done an oil change and some new tyres. Also I need to replace my lower arms because of this popular issue with splitting boots! Mine have got quite bad and have some slight knocking present and uneven tyre wear. I have a Vibra Technics torque link to fit before Mallory too!

I was thinking of upgrading my brake fluid but Mallory isn't that demanding on the stoppers so I might just see how it goes. :cool:

Hopefully get some footage and some pics of the day :D

personally, knowing that you doubted the condition of the brake fluid (do you know when it was last changed? i mean like really really know?) if not, then i'd get ahold of some ATE super blue dot 4 and bleed your brakes out to replace with this. it's perfect for day to day use, and even better for track use. i've used it in all of my cars over the years and i wouldn't use anything else

okay i would use other fluids, but for the price you can't find anything better before you step upto motul / fuchs levels of expense. i'd do it for peace of mind, then you know where your car is in terms of it's braking condition. this will also allow you to check the condition of your front brakes before you track the car and could be a good excuse to get yourself some DS2500's :D

What Motul stuff is good? could you throw me over a link to some? I don't think it's ever been changed but only 3 years old and 18k miles I don't think it would of been prompted on previous services.

I was going to see how my brakes preform but ultimately I was going to get the full Brembo set for approx. £200? I can't seem to find many options for brakes for these cars? To be fair I think the standard brakes are good for this car! :cool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Brembo-Max-Front-Brake-Discs-Genuine-OE-Quality-Service-New-/350822685414?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Type%3A2.0+16V+Sport%7CModel%3AClio&hash=item51aea95ae6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-RBF600-100-Synthetic-Race-Racing-Rally-DOT-4-Brake-Fluid-500ml-/370932365328?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item565d4ab810

the twingo rs shares the same brake discs as the clio 172 / 172 cup, but people who sell them both don't realise this hence why they are £130 £140 on ktec for the 133. it's like they think some of us are stupid ;)

the motul is the expensive option but it is really good. don't bother with dot 5,1 as you'll never get to the point where you'll boil fresh brake fluid on dot 4 in a twingo (no dissrespect guys!) but with older brake fluid you certainly could.

i though i'd leave the pads down to you, as you'll get quite a fright with the cost of ferrodo ds2500 pads. i personally think mintex do some decent racing pads, EBC also do good pads so it's upto you to take your pick. if EBC is good enough for the silverstone circuit chaps in the know, then it's got to be good for a little twingo. the problem with EBC pads is that they're not everyday pads, you just need to know how to use them. pick a set up for 50 pounds or so

no need to worry about rear pads and discs for now as your rears will do 30% of the braking force required by the car, but with the weight shift to the front of the car under braking ... the rear force may aswell be non existent, so you don't need to bother with uprating your pads for trackdays but i suppose going to rear mintex pads wouldn't do any harm. you could certainly do all of the above for the £200 you were planning on spending initially :)

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/auxiliary-fluids/brake-fluid/?130339010&0&1&cc5_179

quantity x 2 add to basket. open your basket up and in the coupon bit at the bottom right type in ''LASTCHANCE30'' and get 30% off and free delivery. will be with you in 2 days :) 1.2 - 1.4 L will do you for a full brake fluid bleed to replace the old with the new BLUE brake fluid. personally i'd go with this tim, it's better value for money and certainly most of the clio sport boys use this for track days. only the clio turbo guys with track monsters opt for the more expensive motul, there isn't much difference in honesty

:D

Ok i'll get on and order some ATE fluid, good deal with that discount code too! What is the general length of time that this is good for before having to change it again?

I'm tempted for the Ferrodo's.. but for what little trackdays im going to be doing (probably 4 or 5 this year) I might just get some brembo pads..

I'll be getting a set of those brembo grooved disks though from the link above, thanks for that!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

for your everyday driving it's recommended that you change your brake fluid every 2 years, but if you're doing a couple of track days a year i'd change the fluid once a year at least. you better get some footage of your trackdays, would be cool to see how you get on. remember not to race, it's frowned upon ;)

Cool, good to know.. i'll change it yearly then.

Haha :lol: Yea no racing :lol:

Just a follow up to what this thread was about...

Went to Mallory Park Thursday just gone and was such a brilliant day!

It was a bit 'mildly moist' :lol: in the morning but the sun came out and dried the track out nicely!
I think I have totally fallen in love with the Twingo :oops: .. It was such a brilliant car to drive on track, so light and nimble, I guess basically just driving a go-kart and I was keeping up with things more powerful too! ;) I think that was my Stig driving though!! haha :D I remember at one point I was bullying a couple of Caterham's to get out the way!

Anyway, few pics of the day..

IMG_4288_zps726153c5.jpg

IMG_4320_zps0213cfdf.jpg

IMG_4357_zps57e7f34c.jpg

IMG_3554_zps553bcb7e.jpg