Sadly leaving the RS world and the renault world!

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordyb

Reaction score
As some of u may have known, I've been looking at getting rid of the RS.

Now this is a money saving exercise, my needs are, cheap to run, cheap payments, and maximise my monthly savings so we can get a house deposit.

So I have looked at a few cars from different dealerships, and I have pretty much made my decision.

I've almost purchased a VW Polo R-Line style,
It fits my needs, and ok it hasn't got much power, but I'm over that stage just now! Plenty more time in life to get faster cars once I've got my house and family!

1E2475B7-338E-48EA-99C2-137459265F98-30682-00000D5D20B73678_zpsb689246e.jpg

055E730B-ED73-4260-BB31-30214029B0C5-30682-00000D5D1ABBC65E_zpsba4ced1b.jpg

15A2184D-8A7E-423D-8744-929507EF3963-30682-00000D5D149E92A0_zpsdcb1959c.jpg

Good luck Lordy looks like a nice motor. Aslong as your happy with it the. **** what everyone else thinks

As you've already discovered the biggest cost to car ownership is depreciation, so the long term solution would be to keep the car.

Otherwise, monthly out goings, there are some cracking leases about at the moment. Small deposit and £50+vat a month for a citroen c1 for instance and will about as cheap as it gets

I've never found vw to be great value, there is much better out there for the same money and cheaper

Dazza1":57kdivnd said:
Good luck Lordy looks like a nice motor. Aslong as your happy with it the. f**k what everyone else thinks

Haha. Thanks! Yeah, I like the look and it has enough power for beasting around the town, as that's pretty much al it gets used for! I have only done 11k in 2 years on the Twingo and the price per month I'm paying for a car I don't use is obscene.

A house and family is far more important now!

This marriage stuff, I seem to have received a "mr sensible hat" when I got married last month!! Hahaha.

maggi112":2430p8wz said:
As you've already discovered the biggest cost to car ownership is depreciation, so the long term solution would be to keep the car.

Otherwise, monthly out goings, there are some cracking leases about at the moment. Small deposit and £50+vat a month for a citroen c1 for instance and will about as cheap as it gets

I've never found vw to be great value, there is much better out there for the same money and cheaper

Yeah, I no there are good deals. This included, I want to save cash, but I also want to be reasonably happy with my car, and this seems to do it for me. Going for another test run today!

A neighbour to my sister recently sold his BMW 630d which looked the nuts and 60,000 miles for 12k
If I were looking at that price range for anything it would be my choice :lol: I was gutted when I heard it had gone!

You want to save, you need to buy something that's done it's depreciating already, otherwise you're not saving anything.

As you said, the Twingo doesn't cost you too much to run other than capital repayments, as you don't do enough miles

I don't understand. You're in negative equity on your car, and you're changing to a new car?

Why not re-finance yours, if it's the payments that are a problem?

My other option was to get a 2012 seat Ibiza 1.2 tsi FR.

I am not 100% sold on car yet. I'm just looking at all my options!! But ultimately the Twingo is going!

If i was saving for a house , the last thing i would be getting is a new car. Why not just get a cheap older car untill you have a house then think about getting a new one?

What Oli said - or the same but keep the twingo. I got married earlier this year and am in the process of buying a house. The twingo is staying at least until the house is sorted and we're in.

If you're in negative equity on the twingo using an HP agreement, with time you're going to come back to positive equity eventually. That would surely be a better time to change. If you're throwing into a new loan, having a larger car loan will affect the amount of mortgage you'll be able to get - so might not really be helping you save money for a house.

nice looking polo that!

I remember the hard decision to get rid of my twingo so I could buy my house last year - so glad that nightmare is all done haha!

Just a suggestion - I have gone for a clio diesel now that all of my big expenses (wedding and house) are done for now - a 2010 that had done all the depreciating it was going to do with ridiculously low running costs - got it for £4400. I pay £97 a month (odd situation - I pay this as a direct debit to myself as I bought it from savings left over from when the house was cheaper than expected)

Just a different route to look at :)

Lordyb":2zk59lu0 said:
My other option was to get a 2012 seat Ibiza 1.2 tsi FR.

I am not 100% sold on car yet. I'm just looking at all my options!! But ultimately the Twingo is going!
I looked at those, they are pretty good for the money. By jebus they are dull to drive, but most think will be coming from a RS

It's a sad day!!
I will own my Twingo for 30 more minutes and then it will be gone!

Sad to see it go, but it makes sense!
I will hang about in the forum if that's ok, as its been a big part if my life since I have owned 2 twingos.

And I will have a couple of items for sale soon. Green panel filter and RS mats and non RS mats!
Thanks
Gordy

Araf":1kwv079f said:
I don't understand. You're in negative equity on your car, and you're changing to a new car?

Why not re-finance yours, if it's the payments that are a problem?
This.. If I want to save money I need to keep my current car untill it falls apart and not buy another car to save money because with the depreciating, I need to pay extra to get rid of my finance.

How some of you get to buy some many cars is beyond me and some of you are even younger than me..

MovingShadow":3n6dba5u said:
How some of you get to buy some many cars is beyond me and some of you are even younger than me..

I don't know what it is like in Belgium, but even now, you can still borrow a lot more than you can really afford here. The salesmen are not your friends, they are just trying to maximise their own earnings. They will keep packaging up your debt, and if you get a lucky break, then you may be able to break the cycle. If not, you finally come upon circumstances where you can't manage to pay and have no flexibility left to tide you over the bad times. You can spend the next 10-15 years paying for a few years of living beyond your means - or choose insolvency (then everyone else has to pay).