Knocking from the boot lid?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebob

Reaction score
This is doing my head in. I have a odd knocking noise coming from the back end, just cant place although I am getting it the sneaking suspicion its coming from the boot lid. I get the noise as soon as the cars on a uneven road.

The noise is too high up to be coming from the exhaust, suspension, ARB etc.

Anyone else had a rattling boot lid?

I'm begining to think that is what my squeek/tapping type noise thing is in mine!
After yanking the lame excuse of a parcel shelf out there is still something making a noise.
(I actually think im going deaf having the music up so loud as to drown it out haha)

Yup, I have taken the comedy parcel shelf out also taken out the spare wheel etc to make sure that isnt causing it.

I've had it (or something v similar) and it was down to me not putting the seat back properly so it locks....

I have the same noise! I am certain it's the parcel shelf. I havnt done anything about it yet. Will investigate thus weekend.

Note that my last Twingo rs did not have this noise!!

Mr_Ben":30p6xtsw said:
I've had it (or something v similar) and it was down to me not putting the seat back properly so it locks....

Doesnt seem to matter what I do with the seats so fairly sure its not them unfortunately, cheers anyway.

maggi112":30p6xtsw said:
I thought it was the seat on mine, but it was the striker. Just needs adjusting

What is this striker you speak of? Is it something a man with fat sausage fingers and no mechanical know-how can fix?

God knows, but bootlid striker brought up several forums regarding other marques with the same issue. I've got the workshop notes from renault here detailing this was the cause of the issue

maggi112":21odkzav said:
God knows, but bootlid striker brought up several forums regarding other marques with the same issue. I've got the workshop notes from renault here detailing this was the cause of the issue

Cheers, gives me something to go on. think its time for my local friendly dealership to get a call.

wondered if it had anything to do with the rubbery stopper bits were the bottom on the tailgate meets the car when you close the boot.

I know mine is, the edges of the boot are worn away at the shut where it meets just above the rear lights :(

Touch up pen and adjustment is required :'(

Report reads:

Identified tailgate striker not alligned correctly, adjusted striker, all ok after testing

I guess if they need to know more they could contact renault watford. Andrew there is most helpful

Another thing to check would be spare wheel... make sure it's secured corretly and the tools (etc) are all clipped in.

Before I sent it into renault, I ahd already checked, parcel shelf, rear bench (lowered it and put it back and made sure it clicked) and the spare wheel. None of them, so it went in (guessed no harm since under warranty and they're quite good down there) and they sussed it straight away. The boot lock mechanism does feel a bit sturdier actually. Like it needs a firmer press to unlock, but not overly firm. Just solid feeling now. Guess it's summin to do with that

Cheers chaps. Def not the spare wheel or seats. Will try some grease in the lock as turbo suggested. And give Renault a ring, as long as others have had the problem I'm not that scared anymore.

the loop on the boot sill is held by two large head torx bolts. Mine was crooked and the boot rattled. T30 bit if i remember correctly

Pop boot lid and mark around the striker for a reference, slacken the two screws untill it stays put, but a light tap moves the position.

Climb in boot and gently close it untill the lock is next to the striker... Adjust striker position left/right until centered in the midde of the lock arch. Re-mark the left right position if altered.

Knock the striker forwards 2mm and tighten the screws. Firmly close boot and it probably won't lock as we have gone too far (if it does lock, go forwards another 2mm untill it doesn't lock).

Now we know it's too far forwards, move striker rearwards slightly by about .25mm and try again. When it locks with a firm close, move it a touch more, so you don't need to slam it every time. Tighten the screws securely and that should be one rattle sorted :cool:

singlespeed":bx6wborx said:
the loop on the boot sill is held by two large head torx bolts. Mine was crooked and the boot rattled. T30 bit if i remember correctly

Pop boot lid and mark around the striker for a reference, slacken the two screws untill it stays put, but a light tap moves the position.

Climb in boot and gently close it untill the lock is next to the striker... Adjust striker position left/right until centered in the midde of the lock arch. Mark the left right position if altered.

Knock the striker fwd 2mm and tighten the screws. Firmly close boot and it probably won't lock as we have gone too far.

Move striker rearwards slightly by about .25mm and try again. When it locks with a firm close, move it a touch more, so you don't need to slam it every time.
Normally if tools are involved I call someone else in. I shall this ago this weekend. Cheers singlespeed