Whirring/Grinding Noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECG1000

Reaction score
Hi guys, not even had the 133 a week and have run into a problem. Just started today.

I was driving the car home after work and after letting it all warm up etc I gave it the beans. I noticed a whirring/whizzing/grinding noise coming from the engine bay.
It only happens between gear if you change up over 5k. If you put the car in neutral and blip it to 5k the same noise appears.
The car's done 9k miles so should be run in etc. I always let it warm up for 10 mins driving before I go above 3k. Even when I am giving it the beans I do have mechanical sympathy.

First thoughts are the fly-wheels because it sounds like a spinning whirring noise. Or could it be a bit a trim that vibrates only at those high revs?

Sorry for all the weird descriptions of noises, just trying to be clear.

Thanks in advance!

prob the clutch release bearing :?

is the car still under warranty??

TURBO":z4uqwedp said:
prob the clutch release bearing :?

is the car still under warranty??
It is yeah. It's a June 2010 .
Don't undertand why it's just started to happen now though! Earlier today it was quiet and then suddenly quite an obvious noise. Not like it's started quietly and gradually got louder. :evil:

Engine out job or can they just drop the box from below? Can't be bothered with it being in Renault for weeks!

I was under the impression that clutch wasn't covered under warranty?

If it is I may have to try taking mine is as I have the same symptons :) I don't "rag" it as much now for that very reason. Clutch seems fine other than the noise at high rpm gear changes.

I doubt renault will touch my car though...

I think it's only certain things to do with the clutch that they will do under warranty after a few months, I had trouble with a 3 month old car so now it's a year and a bit they might be funny! But it's always worth a try?!

I'm hoping as I've only had the car a week I can approach them with "not happy with the product" story. If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have bought the car.

Oh yeah, it didn't do it this morning on the way to work. I did a couple of 5k+ gear changes and couldn't hear anything. Wonder if it only happens when the engine gets really warm??

Has been a prob on a few 133's but only does it when the engine is hot.

U can do the clutch without taking the engine out but u have to drop the box out of the car so some people think its easier to just take the whole lot out!!

Clutches won't be warranty normally as they are a wear and tear item but the bearing should be covered and while the box is out they will say put a new clutch in it.some dealers may ask u to contribute but I doubt it.

Thanks for the replies guys.
It's off in to Renault tomorrow to have a couple of other things sorted so I will mention this as well. Need to get the engine hot before I take it in so I can demonstrate the fault!

ECG1000":fkyd34qp said:
Thanks for the replies guys.
It's off in to Renault tomorrow to have a couple of other things sorted so I will mention this as well. Need to get the engine hot before I take it in so I can demonstrate the fault!
did they manage to find out what it was/fix it?

Oh yeah. Been really good to me to be honest.
Clutch release bearing which they're going to replace on Tuesday and they also notice both ball joints are goosed so they're sorting them as well. 12 hours work all for free......

ECG1000":9i60uzl9 said:
Oh yeah. Been really good to me to be honest.
Clutch release bearing which they're going to replace on Tuesday and they also notice both ball joints are goosed so they're sorting them as well. 12 hours work all for free......

result :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

clutch release bearing ahh must have been a lucky guess :lol: :lol: :lol:

just seen this and my car has similar symptoms, high rev gear changes make odd noises from under the bonnet, how much roughly does a clutch release bearing cost??

After I got the clutch release bearing done, the noise was still there.
Turned out to be a bit of trim resonating at the specific rpm.