My little christian

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elly

Reaction score
Here is Christian the little eunos, he was imported over here in 2006 and has had a rough life since. He wasn't looked after by previous owners and has been reprayed very badly. After spending weeks looking for the right one i found him on ebay. I got him for £360 with tax and mot. He will eventually be used as a drift car but will also be my daily so i won't be going silly with it. I have quite a few friends with drift cars, including my boyfriend mattH who has a turbo MX5 and i wanted to try it myself.

WP_20130728_001_zps463be33a.jpg

WP_20130728_002_zpse1428426.jpg

He had lots of chrome bits everywhere which i personally don't like. Luckily mattH had spare bits from his previous mx5 which got written off due to a track accident so they replaced the chrome. Whilst giving him a good clean we found that he had a cool japanese battery :) The previous owner had a small accident which resulted in the rear panel being dented and scratched as well as the rear bumper. mattH attempted to remove the dent by hitting from the other side which appears to have worked for the most part. A little bit of filler and this will be good as new... maybe.

The wheels he came with were hidious 14" alloys and the tyres were barely legal, so they were replaced with a set of mk2 wheels that mattH had spare. The original wheels will be used as skid wheels!

WP_20130728_004_zpsf45f1157.jpg

When mattH got his first MX5 I bought a (fake) carbon strut brace for his car. This was removed recently and found its way onto my car... After all, I did buy it! He had sprayed it yellow to match his colour scheme but I intend to spray this blue to match mine.
The carbon canister was removed whilst tidying up some bits in the engine bay as everyone believes this isn't needed and looks ugly!

I bought a lazy eye kit as a little addition for photoshoots and any shows I can get to :)

WP_20130803_002_zpsf65e46bb.jpg

Christian came with the little black plastic sill covers so i changed them with some chrome roadster sill plates.
Another one from mattH's collection! A rear undercar strut brace was fitted. This was removed from mattH's car as the large bore exhaust meant it wouldn't fit any more.

We met up with a friend who also has a mx5 and had a little photoshoot. You can see that the paint work is in very bad condition in these photos (the purple one is mattH's).

WP_20130731_025_zpsa78f704b.jpg

WP_20130731_022_zps0df420c6.jpg

WP_20130731_008_zps08bd8a86.jpg

The standard front bumper was buggered so instead of buying another standard one i got a replica garage vary bumper pretty cheap which gives it less of frog eye smiley face look.

After seeing other mx5's with the offset plate bracket and square plate mattH knocked up a bracket for his car and then made an improved version for mine. We know it's improved as my number plate hasn't fallen off!

WP_20130913_007_zps1eefcd0f.jpg

I test fitted mattH's xxr 527 on the car ;) i will be buying a set soon.

WP_20130826_009_zpsd7aa7024.jpg

We gave him a minor service because there was no paperwork to say when it had last been done. The previous owner overfilled the oil so much that it was well past the markings on the dipstick :s and it came out looking like water rather than oil. Later on we found that the diff oil and gearbox oil were also both overfilled! Plugs looked OK but were replaced and a new oil filter screwed into place.

The discs were stupidly rusty despite having plenty of live left in them. For the sake of a few quid we replaced these with new pads and discs all round and adjusted the handbrake so it actually worked!
The alternator belt had lots of cracks and was squealing so a new belt was fitted. Despite this there was still a horrible squeal so the belts had to be retentioned and now the car is squeal free!

The main reason for the car being so cheap was the fact that it needed a new clutch. The previous owner had a quote for this which resulted in her wanting to sell the car (didn't think to ask how much the quote was though...). Although a pain of a job on a driveway mattH agreed to help with this. The previous owner explained that the clutch made noises when pulling away.. This turned out to be a seized pilot bearing which wouldn't turn at all. The clutch plate was also falling apart and rattled a lot. With a fresh Exedy clutch in and gearbox/ppf realigned we were ready to go. Wahey, no more noise!

WP_20130825_004_zpsaf501010.jpg

WP_20130825_006_zpsf0e4396b.jpg

WP_20130825_003_zps9e4724bd.jpg

He came with huge round metal gearknob so i changed it for a small black one stolen from mattH's car until i find a blue bubble gearknob. After a week of fighting to get the roof up and down because it kept getting stuck on the style bars they were taken out and will soon be replaced with TRLANE rollbar or maybe cage.
The petrol flap was the last bit chrome left on the car so it was replaced with a standard one.

After getting told by everyone my car looked like a bus i bought some coilovers from a member on mx5nutz. These were fitted and then adjusted a few times until I was happy with the height and the car would clear the local speedbumps.

photo12_zps02116fb2.jpg

Before
WP_20130912_001_zpsc443ec9c.jpg

After
photo32_zpsb6139931.jpg

I ordered a blue tow strap which is fitted to where one of the tie down points used to be. I also have a rear tow hook to fit once its painted.

7bd4cdb6-abff-4d9b-bf39-5cb0efbee51f_zpsea236fc0.jpg

After weeks of umming and ahhing about whether i should remove the spoiler or not we decided that it looked better without and i think it gives a cleaner/smoother look to the rear. I will hopefully have funds to buy a vindi ducktail soon. In the meantime the holes have beeen filled.

photo42_zpsd619e1be.jpg

WP_20130914_001_zps17e685dc.jpg

Time for a colour change!
WP_20130914_005_zpsd25619eb.jpg

WP_20130914_005_zpsd25619eb.jpg

photo2_zps4fa275ee.jpg

Will update shortly...

It looks like he's showing his age and been needing some tlc (the car and probably Matt at that rate) :lol:

looking forward to seeing it with a new coat and shoes :)

Looking good, at least there's one mx thread that might be kept up to date.

Friedchicken91":3oynrdkj said:
Looking good, at least there's one mx thread that might be kept up to date.
Not a huge deal to update on mine... Car has been sitting in the corner for a couple of months with a poorly engine :(

I forgot to add that it will be going to DWYB at santa pod on 12th october which is why everything has been done so quickly (still need to get diff welded!). I've never tried drifting before so could be very interesting! I'm sure matt will make sure there is photo evidence of how badly i do :oops:.

A little teaser photo :twisted:
WP_20130914_015_zps8f8e83c0.jpg

As promised i am updating you all :D.

As mentioned before the paint on Christian was buggered and i wanted to repaint him. After going through loads of different military colours that would go with my blue tow strap. I decided on battleship grey and i am so happy with it!
It has been done with rollers so its not bodyshop finish but its a cheap car that is going to be used for drifting so i don't care.

I booked a week off work to relax but as usual i ended up working on the car again :roll:. It looks shiny in the pictures but it is very orange peely so it still needs to be wet sanded and polished to make it smooth and very glossy. I will let the photos do the talking....

photo2_zpsa5790734.jpg

photo3_zpsb09adb6b.jpg

photo4_zpscb0d919b.jpg

photo1_zpsdabf915e.jpg

WP_20130922_007_zps813aae8d.jpg

WP_20130922_002_zps60ccb764.jpg

WP_20130922_006_zpsb2f2fcb4.jpg

WP_20130922_007_zps813aae8d.jpg

WP_20130922_014_zpsa4b8c481.jpg

WP_20130922_026_zps6889c3fe.jpg

WP_20130922_029_zps1c757ac5.jpg

WP_20130922_010_zpsc3c2bf13.jpg

Next weekend i will hopefully be putting matt's passenger seat and harness in :thumbup:

Dubz":ldzfrxsc said:
Looks great Elly! Tempted to buy an MX-5 project for next summer..
Do it! This is the third one we have done now and i would do it again if i had enough money to buy another one.

Wow that new colour is awesome, I really like that. Have fun going sideways :p

Don't suppose you or Matt are taking your mx's to the jap show finale at pod this weekend? I'm heading up there and it would be good to see either or both of them.