Strange noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottstwingo

Reaction score
Hi just thought I'd see if anyone else had heard this noise? When going from hi revs ie 6000 and letting off or changing gear there is a strange noise almost like a bearing rattle or such like...? The car on har 11,000 miles on it... Any suggestions

Could be a million things... But "strange noise" can't really diagnose anything from that. But you never know, Neil, Martin or few others may have more help but it's a long shot

Like I said like a bearing rattle... Not a knocking but more like a very quick rattle it's hard to describe...

Does it slow down as it goes through rev range? From engine? Left? Right? Heatshield from exhaust? Exhaust mount knocking? Loose bolt somewhere? There's many many more... I'm not being an arse it's just stupidly hard to find out without being there yourself

Scottstwingo":38hn0zo7 said:
Like I said like a bearing rattle... Not a knocking but more like a very quick rattle it's hard to describe...
if it was me i would ring Renault and get someone to look at it. by the sounds of it its still under warranty if it is. perhaps they will find out what the noise is. Because atm were just shooting in dark :)

sam666":3exea32v said:
Scottstwingo":3exea32v said:
if it was me i would ring Renault and get someone to look at it. by the sounds of it its still under warranty if it is. perhaps they will find out what the noise is. Because atm were just shooting in dark :)
+1

Jjay":2vjd5vpj said:
Does it slow down as it goes through rev range? From engine? Left? Right? Heatshield from exhaust? Exhaust mount knocking? Loose bolt somewhere? There's many many more... I'm not being an arse it's just stupidly hard to find out without being there yourself

Jjay":2vjd5vpj said:
sam666":2vjd5vpj said:
Scottstwingo":2vjd5vpj said:
+1
+2, you realy need someone to be able to hear/feel it, as anything else is just guessing

Scottstwingo":23vrig4r said:
Hi just thought I'd see if anyone else had heard this noise? When going from hi revs ie 6000 and letting off or changing gear there is a strange noise almost like a bearing rattle or such like...? The car on har 11,000 miles on it... Any suggestions

I have the exact Same thing!! Wen I rev it a bit higher more than usual, sometimes it's makes this very faint noise when I press and release the clutch or when I change gear, I'm not sure Which task is creating this noise.

Sounds like a crunchy noise or as u say a rattle of some kind!

I took mine to Renault and they couldn't here it,
So I went out with the guy and he drove it and it happened but he said he didn't here it! It's hard to point out unless u no what your listening out for!

I'm so glad someone else has this strange problem, and Im not going crazy! Haha!

Yeah and it's so hard to explain to anyone because it's such a strange sound, I took mine to my local Renault dealer and the mechanic just said he could not hear it even thought it done it several times on the trip... Infact he was just a bit of a knob and said to solve the problem don't rev it so hard or turn the radio up :(... It's annoying me a little bit just because of the pure fact it's doing it! There isn't a lot I don't know about cars having built a 230bhp starlet glanza, a 20v turbo fiat bravo, and a mg zr running a 220 turbo motor and my current project bringing a fiesta rs turbo back to its former glory... But this noise is painting me so bad because it's so random!!

Yeah, I don't no how to solve it! I'm certain it can't be good what ever it is! I've only done 8200 miles aswell! So very odd!

I wonder if anyone else has had this and maybe resolved it!?

Yeah that's what I thought...? It does worry me tbh :( I know they can be a rattly little engine anyway but this does not sound right

I too have this rattle at high revs, it seems to be when the rev limiter cuts in,or possibly when the clutch is depressed ,the rattle lasts about 3 seconds, it starts fast then tails off,or slows ,as if it's looking it's inertia,all within about 3 seconds. I also have an occasional rattle from the steering module,that sounds very similar, only on particularly cold mornings,or if the car has stood for a long spell ,e.g. 7 days. My car has had a new steering module under warranty,when it was about 4 years old,by the previous owner. Could these two rattles,be the same thing ? I am monitoring this situation. It is a shame because I own a megane 250 cup ,as well ,and I love my twingo just as much,it is the best looking small car on the road ,bar none ,and is last of the old school hatches , like my mk1 golf gti, from the 80s. A future classic, normally aspirated ,drivers car.