It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
 Post subject: Big brakes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 am 

Car: Twingo 133
Hi, I don't no anything about cars lol
But I was looking at some k sport brakes for my twingo 133
304mm, just asking if anyone has done this?
And does it fit??

Post subject: Re: Big brakes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am 
Twingo133.net Co-Owner
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Gordini 133 #159
The original front discs are 280mm. Unless these 304mm discs come with different calipers (or spacer brackets) then no, they wont fit.

Yotah has some big discs and 4pots, more by necessity than looks alone, but the originals served him well just the pads were expensive and take a bit longer to change compared to the Brembos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:42 pm 

Thanks, yes more for looks than anything else,
I was looking at the 304mm k-sport brakes, but not sure if they will
Fit. All I want to do is to have calipers and discs fit fill my 17s right up ;) lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:00 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Gordini RS133 #51
Britton wrote:
Thanks, yes more for looks than anything else,
I was looking at the 304mm k-sport brakes, but not sure if they will
Fit. All I want to do is to have calipers and discs fit fill my 17s right up ;) lol

Bit of an expensive mod if you just want it for aesthetic reasons, cheaper short term and long term to just get smaller lighter wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:22 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Twingo cup
Original brakes are fine, unless u have big power there's no need tbh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Twingo RS Cup
I have the Megane RS 2 Brembo 4 pistons calipers on Twingo R2 brackets and AP Racing 300mm discs. The brackets need adjusting to fit on the Twingo hubs and overall and i paid 1300€ for these, and unless you have cash you don't need or you want to track the car a lot, it's stupid to want them just for show...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:41 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: GT with Subaru / Mugen fettish
firstly, let's get this idea out of everyones head that this is 'stupid', putting bigger bakes onto your car makes it stop more efficiently there is no other way to word that! it doesn't make economical sense, but that doesn't really make the boy stupid.it is what it is. the OP wants to do it for cosmetic reasons, but you should be aware that the conversion you'll need to undertake will cost you at least a grand for a big brake kit from say AP racing or an alternative set up from another company. you will require a new caliper carrier, new caliper, new discs and possibly a new hub (you can convert to a 172 hub if you wish) to make the big brake kits readily available. if you've got the cash, do it mate! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Gordini RS133 #51
Threads pointless anyway OP won't be interested once he looks at the cost for just wanting the brakes to fill the wheels more.

But it is stupid as the car only had a small 133bhp so does not need large brakes whatsoever as the standard setup with uprated pads will stop better than your average car on the road anyway, its overkill and will cost a hell of a lot more in general.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 am 
Twingo133.net Co-Owner
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Gordini 133 #159
waitey wrote:
Threads pointless anyway OP won't be interested once he looks at the cost for just wanting the brakes to fill the wheels more.

But it is stupid as the car only had a small 133bhp so does not need large brakes whatsoever as the standard setup with uprated pads will stop better than your average car on the road anyway, its overkill and will cost a hell of a lot more in general.

A bit presumptuous being as one of the first lines was "I've been looking at..." . it s pretty easy to stumble upon a price, yet he still posted, so may not be as bothered about the cost as you think :?

Agreed, they aren't really needed unless your doing a fair bit of track work, as factory spec is quite good for the amount of bite they can give. R1 and R2 used the same setup with CL pads, before the R2 and R2evo were speced with bigger discs and 4pot calipers.

Best to find out if the caliper pistons have dust seals as road use and long term reliability will be more important for you than a Time Attack motor which will get regularly checked. With 6 or 8pots, that's a whole lot more to start sticking than the originals or even Brembo 4s.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 am 

Car: Twingo Silverstone 19/50
Do agree though, that as good as the standard breaks are, they look a bit weedy. The rear disks especially look a bit on the small side. There is no way I can afford to do what Yotah has done, but as Waitey suggests I'm going to fit some 16" Speedlines through Ktec in the not too distant future. This should improve the appearance by filling the wheel a bit more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 am 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: GT with Subaru / Mugen fettish
one thing to take into account is that you can have the best brakes in the world, but the car behind you won't. BANG!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 am 

Car: Twingo RS
yotah1 wrote:
I have the Megane RS 2 Brembo 4 pistons calipers on Twingo R2 brackets and AP Racing 300mm discs. The brackets need adjusting to fit on the Twingo hubs and overall and i paid 1300€ for these, and unless you have cash you don't need or you want to track the car a lot, it's stupid to want them just for show...

Are your discs 27 or 28mm thick?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 pm 
Naughty Corner Member

Car: Twingo RS Cup
The APs are 300x27mm.

One thing people keep forgetting : bigger brakes offer better braking power, but if you stick with standard tires, you can have all the braking power you want, if you go beyond the grip capacity of the tire, it's pointless you won't brake better than stock. It will look better on the car yes, but if I'm honest, I really couldn't care less if that was the only reason for me to drop more than 1000€ in the car. I only get the benefit of the 4 pot calipers on bigger discs when I'm running semi slicks, as the road tires, even though they're good, just can't really handle the extra braking power...

I agree that the stock discs look a bit small (the caliper being a floating one doesn't help, as imo the 280mm discs are already big enough when you look at them), but really, 1000€, I'd think about it twice. I needed it for track use, and only because I'm a very late and very hard braker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 am 

yotah1 wrote:

At the minute I will not be using it on the track, it's for looks, but in the long term I would love to put it on the track, that's why I want to go for bigger brakes
But I will be looking at the brembo's. An yes it's only 133 Bhp but I will be getting the works done to it. And I don't want to do the works until the brakes are done first :)
But thanks all for your help, :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:23 pm 

Car: Twingo Silverstone 19/50
Remember that as you modify the Twingo you are likely to save weight which will aid braking performance. Seats and wheels are key areas you can save upwards of 60 kg's. Personally I feel the standard brakes are already strong and I'm far more competitive under braking than I am accelerating down straights. My money is going on horses and trimming fat before any serious brake upgrades.

Though.... when they need replacing due to regular ware and tare I will spend a little more and upgrade to the Brembo disks and uprated pads that K-Tec sell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:23 pm 

Car: RS133 LHD MK2
I run RS133 built by RS to order in LHD for use in Philippines.

We use RS200 calipers, RS brackets, RS200 rotors, RS 200 brake hose as its Banjo fitting. We use solid and two peace rotors subject to hill climb conditions. The RS17 wheels will not fit after this conversion so take this into consideration. You need spacers but thats cheap and nasty so we use the EV0 16 wheel for gravel and tarmac. We use RK and RX tyres.

Our brembo kits are traded back to Brembo and total upgrade without wheels cost 750 UK pounds. For two peace just add another 250 pounds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:04 am 

Car: Blue 133/AG F4RT
dbmes wrote:
I run RS133 built by RS to order in LHD for use in Philippines.

We use RS200 calipers, RS brackets, RS200 rotors, RS 200 brake hose as its Banjo fitting. We use solid and two peace rotors subject to hill climb conditions. The RS17 wheels will not fit after this conversion so take this into consideration. You need spacers but thats cheap and nasty so we use the EV0 16 wheel for gravel and tarmac. We use RK and RX tyres.

Our brembo kits are traded back to Brembo and total upgrade without wheels cost 750 UK pounds. For two peace just add another 250 pounds

Interesting to know that, I’ve got brembo megane 225 brakes to go on. But need to decide on a wheel to go over it first. Are yours the EVO corse 16?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:38 pm 

Edited,

Yes we use EVO course wheels on our R1 and R2 and RS133. The stock wheels it came on (17") would need spacers.

We only use RX5 or RX7 TYRE RENAULT TWINGO R2
195/60/16. These are motorsport tyres. We also use Conti Sport Contact 3 (195/40/17). However these tyres grip like glue but we get alot of wheel damage due to low profile.

We cnc our own brackets and any machine can make them from Billet alloy for £15 each, if have a sample bracket. If can do that it save alot of money.

I've read comments and I go on to say that the standard brakes even on our R1 even with soft pads/ high temp are no good for track days. They do fade out quickly and start over heating the hubs. Once we convert to Brembo kit we never get any issues. Thats my few cents of info

I have all reno part numbers and i post later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:19 pm 

I have 21 EVO wheels arriving in the UK with and without tyres in 1st week of January for repainting for 2018. If you need a set or want to test a set.
I also have new set if you need urgent with RX or RK 5 tyres

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:09 am 

dbmes wrote:
I have 21 EVO wheels arriving in the UK with and without tyres in 1st week of January for repainting for 2018. If you need a set or want to test a set.
I also have new set if you need urgent with RX or RK 5 tyres

No rush for wheels at the moment, need to get car mapped first. How much would a set cost me roughly? Where abouts in the UK will they be?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 am 

The wheels are arriving in Lincoln in Lincolnshire (That cold place in the North that has Farmers, Brussels sprouts and muddy roads).

I have 21 wheels but only 14 have passed inspection. We only need 9wheels for next year. A set is 500 pounds ( no tyres )
I have 9 pcs for myself and balance of 5 I will sell.
The damaged one will be cut up and sold as scrap.

Once they arrive here I will post them. I will be in Africa from the 5th of Jan to March in Sahara. So there is no rush if ever need to test a set for clearance etc or need a set. I actually dont normally sell such items but I know how expensive these are and Speedline dont carry stock anymore as you have to buy 24 pcs at a time. I just talking to speedline last week.

I also have RS brackets in storage in Lincoln. That is were we build the cars before exporting them to the Philippines.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

Would be nice to test one on see if it clears my setup, you can get a new set from rallynuts for 480£ brand new, old stock maybe. Would it be possible to send the damaged one to me maybe? I’ll cover shipping etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:09 am 

480 that is very cheap for the 16" wheel.

you can see our R1 on facebook. All the parts numbers are listed and what items you need that reno dont tell you or other suppliers. There mosre items needed for the break kit that are not listed in the books and on request only.

https://www.facebook.com/mech.dan.butler/photos?lst=100010817898472%3A100010817898472%3A1515315886&source_ref=pb_friends_tl

I just got the car back fro Pirelli F1 motorsport. The car is like superglue after 3 days of setup.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]