Any Good?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoodyMcFlude

Reaction score
Hello!! Have been searching around Autotrader for a few weeks as need a new car (current one too old for the company I work for). Am considering moving from a boring diesel to something more fun and a Twingo RS Silverstone popped up reasonably close to me and within my budget (sort of). Looks quite good on paper, obviously a bit noisy but I used to have an MR2 and that wasn't exactly quiet. My only concern is how it cruises on motorway at, ahem, 'motorway speeds'. Also I've noticed that there are currently 4 just on autotrader alone (and one red one that clearly isn't an SS :D) Obviously you guys will be biased but it seems to me that it's a fairly high number to be for sale at any one time when only 50 were made....or is it just coincidence?

Anyway, fingers crossed I'm off to look at one on Saturday. What will probably be the deal breaker is that I often carry a bike in the car and I'm not convinced it will fit, do the seats fold down/come out properly? My current Focus has effectively been converted to a 3 seater because on of the rear seats is down, so I'm okay with compromising on practicality.

Sorry if I've focused on the negative, I've read a bit and I've pretty much filled the 'pro' column already. Petrol, n/a, 130 brake, decent chassis...it's all stuff that has pretty much sold me on the idea, now I'm trying to look at it sensibly so I don't end up spend ££££s on a car that is going to make my day to day life hell for the sake of a few grins on decent roads every now and then.

Be careful that the ones advertised are actually Silverstone models. If they're anything but silver with black roof, black roof and trim and alloys then it's not a Silverstone model. Dealers in the past have been known to list stuff as special editions just to draw people in who may not be aware that they're actually buying a regular (albeit brilliant RS133) model. I know you probably know this, but just in general...

Road noise isn't as bad as people make out, even on the motorway. I came from an MR2 SW20 imported G-Limited to the Twingo RS, and think it's a great car! The rear split seats remove fairly easily, and if you rarely carry more then 1 passenger, just leave them out. Inside the car, its pretty spacious I found considering the class the Twingo is in as it is effectively a re-bodied Clio 172/182 so there's more space than people think. Maybe you'll have to get a fold away bike as a compromise :p lol (joking).

Best bet, like you are planning to do, go and see one, maybe even take the bike with you if its from a dealer and see if it fits - then go from there. There are plenty of alternatives, but few will give the value for money you can now get from the Twingo RS (used prices are making these cars a really decent newish car for the money).

Thanks. Am off to see it in the morning, along with the bike :D I was the same with the MR2, everyone said it was noisy and uncomfortable but I loved it and could happily do a 4 hour journey without stopping.

Pretty certain it's a Silverstone, got a black roof and all the badges (by the cup holder) by the look of the photos.

Am already prepared to make it a two seater if needed but would prefer not to. The other thing that might be tricky is can you fit a pair of skis in? If not then will need to consider a roof rack as well.

What are the things to look out for? I've worked out that ball joints are a weakness and possibly CV joints, is there anything that I should expect to have been done? Seems like a decent car for the money and age (certainly for something that's fun). I need a car less than 7 years old for work and can't see many other ways of having something fun within those criteria, just a worry that I'll need to do plenty of dual carriageway miles.

I use the dual carriageway each day for work, and its perfectly mine for me. There are a few weak points, however in general they're pretty well made cars as they came out at a time when Renault were trying desperately to improve their reliability and customer satisfaction scores. I think you'd struggly with some ski's but as you say, you could always get a roofrack. I think any car of that size would struggle with them inside, even a clio would I expect.

Don't let the noise reports put you off, if you've owned "noisy" cars which you have, then the Twingo won't be anything like them from experience.

Hope the viewing goes well :)

A clio would have no problem with skis, my old man used to get a 7ft surfboard in a Peugeot 106. Sadly the one I went to look at had been sold about 30 minutes before hand but I happened to pass another on the way home (genuine Silverstone again which strikes me as weird). Just about to take it for a test drive. Sadly it's not anywhere near as tidy as the one I was going to drive this morning.

I dont ski so have no idea, just imagined them to be longer than the space in the back lol, bummer that the first one had sold, and that the second one wasn't as nice... what was the drive like? Maybe try a regular RS133 as comparison if theres another one of them locally?

Yeah skis are about 6ft, might squeeze in. Plenty of space in the car but the bike was more of a squeeze than I thought, still just about goes in. Drive was good, definitely very firm and not the quietest but a fun car. Sadly the guy was sat in with me so couldn't really give it a full shakedown :D Car is still decent but the other was like new and really clean, this one needs a good wash and a bit of TLC. Might make an offer, there aren't many cars in the area that I like and this seems like a good option if I can get it at the right price.

Nice one! Any pics? When do you pick it up? Where abouts are you in the South West (not to buy the focus though, sorry lol).

Haven't confirmed when I'm picking it up, but before the end of the week, will post some pics when I've got it.

I'm in Exeter. Annoyingly the one I bought was local, the other one I went to look at was in Ivybridge so took a good hour or so of my life to go down and be told it had gone. Also I'd had my eye on that one for about 3 or 4 weeks but it had been the first time I'd had enough free time to go and see it. Happy now though, just hope driving to Yeovil on a regular basis doesn't make me regret it!