Car won't start - fixed (fuse pulled and put back in)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
This morning, I went to start the car and nothing happened except a clunk from somewhere on the passenger side front. All the warning lights and stereo display area were dead. Just the two warning lights (shift light and traction light) on the rev counter were lit :?

A quick check showed the battery was fine and it wasn't just a flat battery. The major fuses above the battery terminal were still fine.

I remembered someone previously mentioning fuses as a cause for non starting, so set about the glovebox fuse box, pulling and checking each one in turn ( a bit random, but the Renault fuse numbering is realy random or non existant). Theres a handy pair of tweezers on the back of the fuse cover for gripping the fuses ;)

When pulling a 5 amp fuse in the middle of the fuse box, there was another clunk from somewhere, and the radio display came on when refitting the fuse (which wasn't blown)
7774980642_f7c1139ced_c_d.jpg

The engine now started but the spanner warning, both airbag lights and the traction control light were all lit :( A mile drive, first checking the brakes were infact working and everything felt good, stopped the engine and restarted as normal :)

Subsequently found https://www.twingo133.net/company-reviews/dealer-not-fixing-car-t737.html

maggi112":1uzwmk05 said:
Haha I would have told you that's how I started carries car at fcs! Whivh circuit is it? Immobiliser?
I thought I remembered you saying it was a fuse. The question was, which one and pulling them was probably going to be quicker than waiting for a reply.

Yeah it's a 5 amp fuse that has something to do with the immobiliser. You unlock the car and it will take dead lock off (clunk) and unlock if your lucky, you get in and f*** all happens. I waited 2 hours for the AA to tell me take this 5amp fuse out then put it back in and I wasn't impressed. Helped us out at fcs though ;)

Caz-133cup":1utqqbkm said:
That it did chicken and I salute you for that piece of information Even if you did remember in the car half way down the road haha.
I wouldn't of remembered at all if Charlie didn't remind me. I didn't want to be one of the million trying to start it so just waited in the car lol

singlespeed":2wjs3qqq said:
none of use were much use at the time...

See ya later, were off. Meep meep :)
well what help was I really? I'm thick and my mechanic skills are basic mower work and the fact there was about 10 people trying to jump the car meant there was no point me joining. Just a fluke that I was able to help.
And actually as we pulled next to them me and Charlie offered to wait but Maggi said no its fine

anyway Chicken. By a degree of seperation, you helped me today too :)

Hopefully nobody else will need this, but its out there now and is a simple fix for a potentialy problematic fault.

singlespeed":1w5ellnb said:
anyway Chicken. By a degree of seperation, you helped me today too :)

Hopefully nobody else will need this, but its out there now and is a simple fix for a potentialy problematic fault.
yeah I guess I have the odd use then, this is the 4th in 3 years car I've heard it happen to now so it's not a major fault

I had a similar problem last month actually, the electronic locks on the car wouldnt work so i opened the car manually, turned the key in the ignition, all of the lights lit up like normal but it just wouldnt start. In the end I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, (which according to the mechanic serves as a reboot) I took it to Renault and after checking it over the only thing they found was a loose airbag cable :/

Yeah had the same problem the night before USC 2011. Whilst checking the fuses and returning a perfectly fine fuse, everything kicked back into life.

Seems pretty common now, eh...

Pulling the fuse obviously de-powered something, much like disconnecting the battery did for Mike. But is a bit easier if you don't have a 10mm spanner handy ;)

Hopefully this will prevent anyone being stranded or getting humped by a garage for callout, recovery charges etc. Yesterday it was mildly annoying but was fine this morning

Mike_Robo":1x2yqrzk said:
I had a similar problem last month actually, the electronic locks on the car wouldnt work so i opened the car manually, turned the key in the ignition, all of the lights lit up like normal but it just wouldnt start. In the end I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, (which according to the mechanic serves as a reboot) I took it to Renault and after checking it over the only thing they found was a loose airbag cable :/

My brother had exactly the same problem two weeks ago on his twingo extreme, he disconnected the battery and reconnected and the car started up (this is now the second time he has had the same issue, electronic locks don't work and car doesnt start).

This solved my problem also on a 2010 Twingo Freeway.

Here's the story:

Yesterday we took it out for a 30 minute drive. On the way we noticed in 5th gear, at low revs there was a slight chattering sound, quietly, not in another gear.

When we arrive at the destination we drove somewhat over a log dictating the edge of the parking bay, only about 15 cm on to it, no sign of damage, pulled back off it. It was about 2cm higher that the air dam.

Get to destination, lock car. Come back 30 mins later, use keyfob unlock car.

Go play in the sun, come back an hour later.

Remote dead - no remote lock.
Key in ignition - all lights come on, then off leaving varible power assist steering light and spanner only.
Car will not crank, internal central locking button doesn't work.
Got lift to fetch spare key, no difference.
Car cannot be bump started [we had a hill to hand].

Is there a known fault? Is there a known electrical connection just above the nose of the car that can come loose with a scuff and render the car un-drivable? If one keyfob is flat does another work straight away, or is the immobiliser still on?

Lastly does anyone know where there is a fuse layout diagram???! In the handbook they're named, but there's no bloody diagram showing which fuse is which?!

Suggestion was to remove the fuse shown/mentioned above and it fixed the problem, at least once!