My Twingo 133 (non cup)

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singlespeed":2vpf8qou said:
I had the same issue with very uneven ride heights with Weitec coilovers on my Audi. The first set of rear springs had one perch fully up and the other fully down to get it anywhere near level but I had run out of travel to get it spot on. The second set of springs were better but still a large difference in perch height to get the body level. The fronts weren't much better either and it ended up with a set of KW springs as replacements. It was a complete feck about and I wouldn't touch them again after that.

When I sold it, I put the original Audi 70K miles suspension back on and it sat level within a mm or two without any messing about ;)

Hmm very interesting! It's a shame because a few friends of mine raved about KW which is the reason I went for them. And with it coming from K-Tec I'd have expected them to be spot on.

I'll give it another day and see what they're like on a perfectly level surface. If they're still out I may contact K-Tec and see what I can do

ollieallen":2mmydop0 said:
singlespeed":2mmydop0 said:
I had the same issue with very uneven ride heights with Weitec coilovers on my Audi. The first set of rear springs had one perch fully up and the other fully down to get it anywhere near level but I had run out of travel to get it spot on. The second set of springs were better but still a large difference in perch height to get the body level. The fronts weren't much better either and it ended up with a set of KW springs as replacements. It was a complete feck about and I wouldn't touch them again after that.

When I sold it, I put the original Audi 70K miles suspension back on and it sat level within a mm or two without any messing about ;)

Hmm very interesting! It's a shame because a few friends of mine raved about KW which is the reason I went for them. And with it coming from K-Tec I'd have expected them to be spot on.

I'll give it another day and see what they're like on a perfectly level surface. If they're still out I may contact K-Tec and see what I can do
Thats exactly why I went for them, as KW and Weitec are within the same group and many of the UK-MKIV Golfs were happy with them. I got a duff set. Fortunately from a decent supplier who sent me a replacement set so I could swap out the springs and then a set of KW springs to save me taking my custom elsewhere.

Any shop selling them will be just that, a shop. They won't have a say in wether it would sit level as that would be down to the spring rates (and if they are fitted correctly) and not who you bought them from.

Check to make sure both sides are seated correctly on the rear beam and the top spring seat. Try turning one rear spring through 90deg and then another 90deg as this can make a difference depending on the coil design

singlespeed":u9mzze4p said:
Thats exactly why I went for them, as KW and Weitec are within the same group and many of the UK-MKIV Golfs were happy with them. I got a duff set. Fortunately from a decent supplier who sent me a replacement set so I could swap out the springs and then a set of KW springs to save me taking my custom elsewhere.

Any shop selling them will be just that, a shop. They won't have a say in wether it would sit level as that would be down to the spring rates (and if they are fitted correctly) and not who you bought them from.

Check to make sure both sides are seated correctly on the rear beam and the top spring seat. Try turning one rear spring through 90deg and then another 90deg as this can make a difference depending on the coil design

Maybe that's all I have. But after the drive to work this morning both sides at the back seem significantly lower than yesterday and almost level now. I think the dampers maybe just needed a bit of time to settle down to the new height.

Definitely need new dampers though, all sides seem to be knocking which isn't nice :( need to get sabving for some alloy mounts!

Getting tyres fitted today so I'll get the garage to measure them for me while it's in there, then it'll be a flat surface to get a more accurate number from. I'll bear the spring twisting in mind though and try that, thanks

On a non suspension related note (because it's starting to make me sad) I debadged and destickered the back end the other day and it looks sooooooo much tidier, I'll get some pictures up later when I've had the tyres on and played with the heights a little more.

Also did the washer swap on the seats to lower the seating position slightly which feels more comfortable, but still too high IMO. New seats will be looked at in the next year or so when I'm done paying for the coilies, tyres and brakes :oops:

Brakes (hopefully) should be going on next week and I'm gonna change the fluid and gearbox oil while I'm in that area. Wanted to wait until the alignment was sorted because of the extreme bedding in measure for Ferodo pads :cool:

Also it needs a bloody good clean, I've been neglecting her these past few weeks. I hate washing cars in the hot weather! Water streaks are such a pain and waxing kills me in the heat

Pointless update.

Put the back seats and spare wheel back in yesterday for a drive up to the Harry Potter Studio in Watford (it was amazing before you all ask) and the back has obviously gone a bit lower which is good. It now appears to very nearly level which is great.

The front still needs a bit of adjusting, passnger side wheel rubs on the arch liner on full lock and I have an odd amount of negative camber on the driver side wheel which needs addressing. Camber adjusting bolts are gonna be purchased next week and hopefully they will resolve the issue after some tinkering.

Getting a loud knock from the driver side too which is either my top mount being a bit loose or my ball joint rubber having cracked. Hopefully it's the top mount, otherwise I'm gonna cry a little.

I'll chuck some pictures up soon (I promise). Gonna go for a little spin with a friend and get him to take some nice snaps on his snazzy camera.

But for now I'm happy, the AD08s need wearing a bit more because they're still a little slippery. But they are absolutely fantastic in both wet and dry, £400 well spent (kinda)

maggi112":1z56y96d said:
So you were 5 mins down the road and didn't say hello....

Well if I'd known you lived there I would have made the effort ;) the M25 is the most horrible motorway surface, I thought my wheels were going to come off over parts of it!

Parts are. There's also some dips that act as ramps and jumps in Lane 4 anti clock wise from junction 16 to 13 I've found :lol: I've hit my head on more than one occasion!

maggi112":1kvqx6b0 said:
Parts are. There's also some dips that act as ramps and jumps in Lane 4 anti clock wise from junction 16 to 13 I've found :lol: I've hit my head on more than one occasion!

Haha brilliant! I'll have to have another hoon up at some point, I dropped a friend off in a place just by Southampton and the roads were so bad that I bottomed out once :eek:

I need to make an effort to clean the car up and come to a meet or two. Would be good to put names to faces!

Couple of rough pictures (taken on an iphone with my fantastic photography skills) just to show a rough idea of the height drop!

Top one is the new height which still needs a little adjustment. Front is slightly low for my liking and I get a little tyre rub on full lock. You can also see the difference the smoked indicators make!

Pretty crappy picture of the back, but dat ass. No comments on the dirt please, haven't had a chance to clean her in a while!

Hoping to get the height up at some point this week if the weather gets a bit dryer. Need to order camber adjusting bolts next week to try and resolve the odd camber. Driver side has loads, passenger has none! Then eventually new alloy top mounts but probably not until next year now.