Fitting brake pads?!?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordyb

Reaction score
Is there any1 I'n the region of Inverness who knows how to and are willing to help me install my brake pads? I really have not got the knowhow and guts to try them myself!

It would be greatly appreciate if any1 can help me out!

Pm me if interested!
Thank you!

Removing pads.

Set the wheels straight forward
Remove front wheel
Remove the retaining spring (Use a flat head screw driver)
Remove caps from rear of the calipers to access guide pin bolts
Remove guide pin bolts
Suspend the caliper on the subframe
Remove pads.

Refitting pads.

Push brake piston back slowly (Use waterpump pliers or a brake piston return tool)
Clean up caliper and its supports with a wire brush and brake cleaner
Copaslip the pads
Fit the inner brake pad with the lugs into the piston caliper then the other brake pad
Refit the guide pins and caps
Refit retaining spring
Refit front wheel

Job done :)

Just to add - it's a job that takes no time at all once you've done it once. May seem daunting to begin with but once you've changed them you'll wonder why you ever paid a garage to do it.

once uv got the wheels off it is two bolts, a squeeze with some pilers and a quick clean.

simples

When trying to push brake piston back on rear brakes do you need to turn the piston while pushing or is it just a straight push back piston?

scott133":3r45r85i said:
When trying to push brake piston back on rear brakes do you need to turn the piston while pushing or is it just a straight push back piston?
I think on the back mate u need a tool to wind the piston back

I thought so I'm going to fit new pads tomorrow and didnt want to start when i didnt have anything i needed

Use a good clamp and you should be able to push and rotate at the same time. That's how I've done the last 3 times and ok it takes a bit more time than if you have the appropriate tool, but given how much they sell it for...

scott133":1tly2dzb said:
I thought so I'm going to fit new pads tomorrow and didnt want to start when i didnt have anything i needed
The tools not the much mate

Changed all my pads today, was really easy turns out I didn't need any special tools I used a clamp and it worked a treat :)

scott133":3kjg5xlp said:
Changed all my pads today, was really easy turns out I didn't need any special tools I used a clamp and it worked a treat :)
:cool: Did the front caliper guide pins need a 7mm allen key to unscrew them?