How to - Replace steering wheel.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
Parts required:-
Replacement wheel, with bolt holes compatible with a Momo boss
Momo hub kit to suit Clio 2001> Pt No MOM7218R (This comes with a resistor, screws and small Allen key)
*Replacement bolt for securing the new wheel/boss.

Tools required:-
10mm spanner or socket to remove battery negative
Small flat bladed screwdriver
T50 Torq bit
Extension and ratchet/bar to fit the Torq bit
Small Tywraps and snips.

Disconnect the battery negative cable and position it out the way. Its unlikely to be a problem if you keep the ignition switched off, but we are going to be disturbing the airbag connector and also need to rotate the steering wheel, so an additional two minutes may save a broken nose.

Unlock the steering and rotate the wheel 90 degrees to allow access to one of the airbag retaining clips.
14713854524_5273c723da_o_d.jpg

Push the wire clip away from the centre, so it can slip off the hook. When free, slightly pull that side of the airbag cover free so the wire clip doesn't re-engage
14713854774_a37d19012b_o_d.jpg

Rotate the wheel for the other clip and remove that one too. Afterwards, straighten the steering then pull the airbag assembly free from the wheel.

The airbag is connected by a wire
14713062041_ba512b22ff_o_d.jpg

Lift up the yellow locking flap then pull the connector free
14713854304_ef6ea03bd5_o_d.jpg

If you have steering wheel controls, disconnect the second connector (at a guess, all cars will have a second connector but it may be stowed, so free it from its stowage area)

Undo the Torq bolt retaining the wheel. Unscrew it 5 or 6 turns then give the wheel a good pull until it moves. I worked my way round it, pulling at 12, 3, 6, 9, 12....... until free. Completely remove bolt and wheel being careful of the cables.

If you had the steering centred, there should be a thick master spline at the top and two others either side. These align with relevant grooves in the Momo boss. The two slots in the movable white surround (clock spring) will take the two lugs on the back of the boss, so keep it alligned whilst fitting the boss into place.
14716240465_60a13b6eba_o_d.jpg

Fit the new boss, locating the master splines over the column. Replace the Torq bolt with a new one (probably recommended due to having a locking patch) I reused mine and added a dot of threadlock. Torque to 45Nm.

Fit the supplied fused resistor onto the airbag connector and tywrap it back to the connector so it won't drop out.
14716239575_895f2ee26f_o_d.jpg

Tywrap the two connectors neatly to the spokes of the hub.
14716240555_e762cee140_o_d.jpg

Just a bit smaller :cool:
14736104113_939ac7aa0e_o_d.jpg

Our horn is on the indicator stalk, so we don't need to fit the supplied cables or the horn surround unless you need the surround for a steering wheel center to clip into :?

Fit your new wheel, using the supplied countersunk screws. Tighten the screws down evenly before finally nipping them all up to 6Nm (Thumb and first finger only used on the allen key would be enough)

Reconnect battery cable... Enjoy :cool:

14713424081_e83a2ff006_z_d.jpg

looks fantastic as we suspected it would neil, although you are a brave brave man to daily drive a suede wheel :D

this wheel was made for the gordini surely! did the resistors work as they should? also i would add, although not essential you don't need to disconnect the battery for the airbags on a renault but if it makes you feel more confident then by all means disconnect it lol. the only thing that will happen is the SRS light will come on, once the resistor is connected and ignition off / on again once complete, it will clear itself automatically

I didn't actually disconnect the battery but included it above just incase. Wouldn't want someone being rough and also having a slightly defective system and getting a face full of airbag or mashed fingers.

Resistor works fine, with no difference to the dash light sequence and no lights after the self test sequence.

All good, except so long with the original, the smaller wheel feels very odd now :lol: not in a bad way though, so I'm sure I'll get used to it :)

MovingShadow":279s3bxn said:
What bothers me is that you lose the buttons for cruise controle though.
I'm cable throttle, so the buttons are redundant anyway.

Im sure you could make something simillar with two buttons either side
Sparco_Buttons_01.jpg

so you dont need spefic hub or waterver to fit this sabelt? just bolt it in? or i misendurstood ?

where you found this stuff in the last piscture? i wan't to keep my button seem's good for that

thx for the turotial

mazmaz":2mm0t3xt said:
so you dont need spefic hub or waterver to fit this sabelt? just bolt it in? or i misendurstood ?

where you found this stuff in the last piscture? i wan't to keep my button seem's good for that

thx for the turotial

6x70 (momo, omp etc) clio 172 / 182 hub is what you require to fit the sabelt to your twingo (any twingo!)

Parts required:-
Replacement wheel, with bolt holes compatible with a Momo boss
Momo hub kit to suit Clio 2001> Pt No MOM7218R (This comes with a resistor, screws and small Allen key)
*Replacement bolt for securing the new wheel/boss.

The push buttons I showed in the last picture are from Sparco. If you need two buttons either side then I suspect you would need to make your own

Ok thx a lot

maybe i can replace the button from he sparco stuff to fit the button on the twingo

Anyone try to put the Twingo III steering whell on the RS? I think can fit, even the airbag and buttons!

has anyone wired the cruise control buttons to the radio controller? it would already have + and - laid out nicely :D i'm planning to swap the steering wheel, but i really wanna keep the cruise control.