Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - 205/40/17 opinions?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oggy_c

Reaction score
The car needs 4 new tyres so looking at changing to 205s. The eagles were highly rated last year in Evo’s annual tyre test, however didn’t perform that well this year. However, this is in part to other manufacturers upping their game. Unfortunately these other tyres aren’t available in our size. Looking at what is available the Eagle F1 seems to be about as good you you can get.
I’ve used the search function but there doesn’t seem to be much if anyone who has used these here.

Has anyone given these a go and what is their opinion?

Thanks.

Have a look at conti premium contact 6, I've been running them for a few weeks now and love them, I've even used them on track. The side walls could be a little stiffer that's all I can fault.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

What do you use the car for?

Not used the tyre you’ve mentioned, but you could go for Uniroyal Rainsport 3’s for extra grip for the coming winter. Nothing but good reviews you’ll find for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the alternatives.
TBH I generally discount anything other than premium brand tyres and hadn’t considered the Uniroyles. They seem to get decent reviews. Not hugely bothered by wet weather performance over anything else, I’m looking for a good all rounder with the emphasis on performance, feel and handling.
The Contis are a little more expensive than Eagles which can be had for £365 fitted and I’m not sure they would offer anything more. I’m keen to try the eagles so may take a chance.

Thanks.

Always good to try something new, if you do go for the eagles let us know if they’re any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, this section doesn’t seem to get much traffic. My post is still in the top ½ after almost 5 months.

My thoughts were initially that the car has lost a tiny bit of the initial turn in response, which could well be a trait of 205 rather than the Eagle tyre, or possible tyres pressures which were a little low. This was an opinion I had within the first few weeks of them, the car in no way feels as though the turn in is slow or unresponsive. This is the ONLY negative thing I can say about them.

It's hard for me to compare them since the old tyres were shocking. 3 different brand, all varying ages from a budget tyre to the original Conti which had started to crack! The car always felt pretty good in the dry but felt a little inconsistent when pushed. In the wet it was terrible! But no car I’ve had has ever felt great in the wet, that is until I fitted these…..

The Eagles in the wet are astonishing. Barely any understeer at all and almost as much grip as in the dry. Dry grip is also superb, tons of grip. Almost too much to exploit in day to day use which allows you to keep up with much much quicker cars given the right road.
With the old tyres I'd almost always have the TC off as I found it really intrusive and frustrating, even with the F1’s this is true but the limit is reached less frequently so is much less of an issue. Having said that I hate TC, I’m probably in the minority here and I’m sure the very latest systems in some cars are superb, but for me it just ruins a car (based on my experience).

What I am most impressed with is that their characteristics seem to be consistent in all conditions. This isn’t something I’m used to on either previous cars of our other cars. Having had them fitted for 4 months now, I am still amazed at the grip levels, especially in the wet.

Additionally, they also provide great rim protection.

Overall, I couldn’t be happier with these tyres. I'd very highly recommend these.

Fully fitted I paid £357.