Something fell off?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesfan

Reaction score
This appeared under the car today. Think it came from somewhere around the front farside wheel? Turned a tight left up a hill just before getting home and heard a metal clunk/rattle sound then saw it on the floor when I looked under the car after parking. Not sure if its mine or I picked it up during the turn? Kind of looks like part of the spring but they seem a bit thicker and I cant see any missing sections. The end is pretty rusty, so even if it has dropped off the car, it cant have been much use for a while.

Any ideas?

1.jpg

2.jpg

The car is a 2010 Gordini 133

Was thinking the same, they are coated in the same colour, but what I could get access to and look at was larger in diameter. Maybe the top part is slightly thinner? An excuse for a coil upgrade though.

You better check before you haven't lost the plastic mounts if it's the rear. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNLESS YOU ARE TAKING IT TO A GARAGE. It's defo a spring. If it's a rear the job takes half an hour to do both sides - something most people could do if they have a jack & axle stands. Do both sides, likely the other will go soon and you don't want a tired and new spring on the car.

Renault will ask which spring colour you have. Get a damp rag and clean over the colour patch on the spring to see which it is. Ring around Renault garages for spring prices there are big differences in what they charge for them

rocketman":fvvmu4tc said:
You better check before you haven't lost the plastic mounts if it's the rear. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNLESS YOU ARE TAKING IT TO A GARAGE. It's defo a spring. If it's a rear the job takes half an hour to do both sides - something most people could do if they have a jack & axle stands. Do both sides, likely the other will go soon and you don't want a tired and new spring on the car.

Renault will ask which spring colour you have. Get a damp rag and clean over the colour patch on the spring to see which it is. Ring around Renault garages for spring prices there are big differences in what they charge for them
My rears both snapped while on a Scottish island so did about 1k with them snapped and the plastic just stays inside the remaining coils.

rocketman":52m6yfd1 said:

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at them today see if I can find which one it is.

In my sale thread there is a picture of the standard springs for reference bud, might help identify it although if you jack up your car might help while doing it. I would say the front from your description and it looks less of a bend radius than the rears but hard to tell from the pictures.

i recently had this problem too when i went for an MOT few months back... when they lifted the car up on the ramp it dropped a piece of the suspention spring just like your photo... i would say the stock suspension isnt all that great since by the time the cars are around 10 years old they had it... i put bilstein coilovers on mine :D

Well the problem I would think is more to do with the fact they are quite hard springs and these British roads don't half give them a working out. Once rust sets in and finds a stress point they go.