Best 195/40/17 tyres?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_133

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Need to get two new tyres and wondered what people use, I had hankook s1 evos, great in the dry but when the rain hits car has a mind of its own! Was looking at Yokohama S Drives, anyone used these before and got a review? Tyre size is 195/40/17

Many thanks

Managed to find some old topics on tyres through searching, I've ordered Vredsteins Sportrac 5s. Got lots of good reviews, will let people know what I think of them when fitted.

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply to this. The vredstein sportrac 5 are a good tyre, much better handling in the wet over the Hankook Ventus that I had fitted to the front, (now on the back) at around 65£ each for the sportracs id recommend you try them.

I've had problems with 205/40/17 scrubbing on mine even with stock cup rims, not sure why but was even worse when I got a set of OZ rims, so went to 195/40/17

I was looking in to getting a full set of vredstien sportrac 5's it's good to know you would recommend them. I currently have continental contactsport 3's all round, it's a good tire but the noise is unbearable averages 85db at 30mph, also I'm getting alot of wear on the outer edge with nothing to do with camber.

Getting reasonable wear and noise with Conti Sport 3s with my Cup. Grip and handling are very good.

Personally haven't tried the continental tyres so can't comment on them, I imagine they should be good though. I don't notice much road noise with the sportracs to be honest and find they give a comfy ride.

Maybe you should get your tracking looked at? Doesn't cost that much to get done nowadays.

I've had the tracking done a few weeks ago, it may just be the way I'm driving most corners i will take quit quickly that's why the outer edge is wearing so fast

I've never bought none-big-name tyres before but I'm seriously tempted by the Rotallas (RU01) which around less than £40 per corner in 205/40/17 guise. The ratings and reviews seem really (surprisingly) good.

Personally I would only get a more known brand. If your looking on camskill for prices they are several good brands around the same price as the rotallas like fulda toyo kumho uniroyal avon and Yokohama.

Over the last 8 years I've always toyo t1-r 205/40/17 and they are great. Best all round tyre I found

Dave_133":3txv2otk said:
I've had problems with 205/40/17 scrubbing on mine even with stock cup rims, not sure why but was even worse when I got a set of OZ rims, so went to 195/40/17

It is i think the only mentioning of 205/40R17 tires scrubbing. Everywhere else it is stated that they won't rub on stock tires. Do you maybe know where is the problem (is car lowered or do you have spacers)?
I have 2012 (facelifted, but I don't think it makes difference) with Cup chassis and want to replace original Contis with 205/40R17, probably Firestone Roadhawk, but really don't want to have them rubbing (I have a lot of bad experiences with rubbing from my cars before)...

Car wasn’t lowered and didn’t have an spacers. Was on cup wheels and cup suspension, 205/40/17 tyres. Really not sure why it rubbed but it did, was on the wheel arch liners. Maybe it was the design of the tyre? Sidewall being too square like, if that makes sense. Soon as I went to 195/40 I had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk