Sound Deadening

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aichelburg

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am new to the forum. I own a Twingo 1.2 16V Trend Quickshift. The major modification I made:

Dynamat sound deadening was installed in my Twingo. It radically reduced the road noise. You feel more relaxed and happy after travelling hundreds of kilometers. It basically cancels all high frequency road noise. Now the acoustics is much better, so I can enjoy high quality music on the motorway :D

100_4832_2.jpg

100_4837_2.jpg

100_4850_2.jpg

The total cost was about 1000 USD (500 for the sound deadener materials and 500 for the installation). I believe it was woth the investment, because now my Twingo's sound deadening is somewhere between a Clio and a Megane.

waitey":vki1sptq said:
MovingShadow":vki1sptq said:
Probaly added a lot of weight too, no?

Won't make much of a difference as we don't own full blown race cars where every kg counts or gram in F1 terms! ;)

the carpet and sound deadening in a twingo is only something like 10-15kg or in the real world that's somewhere around 5-8 2lb bags of sugar. really no weight whatsoever increased in putting better sound deadening material in if that's your thing, it will be made of some fancier composite fibres but will possibly even weigh less no doubt!

Maybe it's not the same but when I bought my ICE equipment, I got some isolation material with it to reduce vibrations and noise.
I eventually didn't use them but 1 pack with a handful of mats was quite heavy.

I think it makes sense for him ...cause its a 1.2 16V Quickshift .....its a slow,comfortable Car and now its even more comfortable .....it was never meant to be sporty like an 133.

Twingogangster83":28rcorle said:
I think it makes sense for him ...cause its a 1.2 16V Quickshift .....its a slow,comfortable Car and now its even more comfortable .....it was never meant to be sporty like an 133.

Saying that I think we all would be happier with less road noise on long journeys lol ;)

Even worse when it's raining. The noise the car makes is is surprisingly loud.. around 22/23 volume covers it I find.

Dubz":dqazyoz8 said:
Even worse when it's raining. The noise the car makes is is surprisingly loud.. around 22/23 volume covers it I find.

Usually better to be safe and go for 50 just in case I need to accelerate

The weight of all sound deadening stuff installed was about 20 kg or 44 lbs. So the increased total weight and fuel consumption it is not a big deal. On the motor way the road noise of 140km/h is similar to the road noise of 80 km/h of the previous sound deadening.
On the other hand I somewhat miss the old 'cute trash' feeling of my car, that you drive a noisy car and directly hear the sound of the engine. The Twingo's engine has a cheerful sound in the city.

It is mad that Twingo's basically have no sound deadening at all. I remember a few weeks ago sitting in traffic I heard a phone ring, clear as anything, looking around a bit puzzled, until I worked out the phone was ringing in the car next to me.

Good thread! I was tempted but I don't want any more weight, even 15kg. Bear in mind also that different tyres have differing acoustic output - I just put some premium Dunlops on my wife's new Ford C-Max (already well insulated) and it made things noticeably quieter in the cabin...