Looking to buy a twingo133

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demei_96

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you please help me with things i need to look out for when buying one of these. looking at a few this weekend and any advice would be appreciated.

Or point me to another thread as no doubt this has been asked before.

Thank you

Check that the cambelt etc has been replaced in the service history, or budget for this when negotiating a price.

Check the MOT has a decent amount of time left on it.

Suspension coil springs if standard are prone to snapping, which would mean an MOT failure but can also be hard to spot if its at one end. Try to jack it up and check that way.

Check the oil cap for residue, if the cars been used for lots of short journeys, or used around town then some residue is common. If its excessive, walk away - same goes with the dipstick.

Start the car from cold, idle should settle and be smooth after about five minutes. Check for smoke from the exhaust. As it's cold, smoke will no doubt be visible just make sure its not excessive and not blue, get someone to rev the engine while you stand behind it to check that no oil seals (or worse) have failed...

Check all your lights, wipers, switches and that the air con works (if fitted).

Check the model has everything it is supposed to have, if its a Gordini it should have stripes, badges and logo'd floor mats (if spec'd). Same goes with other special editions.

But in general, the Twingo RS is a well built and reliable car without any common big problems. Do you have a link to the advert of the car your going to view? Or some pictures? So we can have a quick look and make sure there's nothing that might be an issue (wrong wheels etc).

I'd add lower ball joints to that list and engine mounts among other things but in reality you won't be able to check everything until you buy the car, I'd of thought you can pick them up quite cheaply now. If your a keen driver the cup/cup chassis is a must OVERBOOST pretty much explains the main essential things you need to know best of look finding s goodun

Agreed with all of the above, but also check the rightmost spark plug surround for water or corrosion, leaky scuttle panels were common.

Plus the instrument icon display - are any icons dimly lit all the time? £570 for a new part if so.

Check for grinding noises from the steering column

But dont let any of this put you off. Cracking car, cheap to run and maintain and the best chassis I've ever driven.

I'm selling mine at the moment if you have any questions? 12 months MOT and she's been very well looked after. Full service history and has the club chassis upgrade. She's a beauty to drive!