Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe, Pics inside

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singlespeed":2y5sz8v1 said:
Its safe to say those shells are fooked :(

How does the 20v motor (if thats what you ordered) compare to the original?

Unfortunately :(

The 20v is a 4AGE but was fitted to FWD AE101 (Silvertop) and AE111 (Blacktop) Levins.
They both came with ITBs as standard (42mm on AE101, 45mm on AE111) and VVTI on the Intake Cam but had subtle differences.

AE101: AFM, Required Plenum to work, Beefier Rods, Lower Rev Limit, Lower Compression (10.5:1), Slightly different cam profile and valve sizes. (160 PS - often used for Turbo Applications)
AE111: MAP, No need for Plenum, Thin/Svelte rods, High Rev Limit (8.25k for 5 Speed ECU, 8.5k for 6 Speed ECU), High Comp (11:1), Higher lift cam. (165PS - Generally the one people go for)

Both being designed for FWD, some changes have to be made to fit the AE86:

Block has RWD Mounts so no issue there.
Distributor is on the back on the cam (inline action opposed to geared offset action on the standard 4AGEs) so any of the following has to happen: cut hole in bulkhead, relocate distributor, convert to COP Ignition.
Water Flow is different so there are small mods to change this.

I've thankfully got a AE111 20v on the way, so I can swap over all the right bits from me gubbed engine. I also had a 6 Speed ECU before the engine went pop.

Forgot to update this for a while!

Progress wise: Engine arrived and had some issues with coolant flow, didn't notice previous head was modified for single exit coolant flow....

So the heads were switched and a new TRD gasket was used.

Been enjoying driving this for a good while and weighing up options for engine rebuild -
1. High Comp/Rev/~220bhp NA 20v, using previous block, remachined crank, new pistons, rods, cams, ARP bolts, new seals etc: ~£2000
2. Turbo 20v/~260bhp - ~£2500
3. Turbo 16v ~ 230bhp - ~£750
4. Another engine all together - ~£LOTS

UNTIL....an engine, gearbox, loom and rear axle set-up OUT of someone's Track Trueno came up for the same cost as the proposed engine rebuild No. 1 without the following worries/issues:
1. Grenading T50 gearbox - Known weakpoint
2. Grenading Kouki Rear axle - Slightly whiny, would benefit from rebuild with solid pinion spacer

So, I went for a package that is KNOWN to work, have seen the results of and is STRONG as hell:
NA 240bhp - 9000rpm rev limit OE
6 Speed Gearbox - Very capable of coping with big power
Toyota Liteace Rear Axle - tried and tested upgrade for 250bhp<

So I know I have a strong engine, gearbox and axle that I can rev all day long and be happy :)

Watch.
This.
Space.