Golf GTI Mk 4

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy89

Reaction score
Hi all!

To cut a long (and possibly boring) story short, I have a need for a run about car for about 6 months ish.... only to do like 15 miles a day whilst the wife has mine.

I work with in a primary school and one of the ladies there is selling her black golf GTI. Its a bit of a dog (bodywork is a bit groggy, on winter steelies, dent in the front wing from a fence) and its a highmiler at 130k on the 2.0 petrol engine. She is offering it me for what she has been offered trade in... around £400 - £500 pounds. Oh, its a 51 plate owned by her from nearly new.

I'm tempted as the history of it is very comprehensive and known.

Does this sound like a good buy? Also... are there any massively well known problems with these cars (ive never had a vw before)

Tommy.

I only know of a friend that loves slightly old GTI's so around the 51 plate area. But she's been through 3, 2.0 GTI's in the past year. and they're all 100K+ miles. So I'd say stay away. However I don't know the previous history of them. But as far as I know I would stay away from it and just get a basis Ka or 106 for a short term run around

Dubz - I know the history of this one and how much has been spent on it since I have worked there (we counted of 3k of bills today). I am reluctant to get a 106 or ka as IMO they are death traps crash test wise (plus I despise the ka - had a sporty one and it was a pile of shiz)

Im not too fussed about the miles tbh as Ive had 4cars on much higher than that (2 renaults, a citroen and a peugeot!) Im just wondering if anyone has any well known faults from their motoring past?

whatever I get will always go through a full inspection and HPI regardless - cant be too careful!

Pretty reliable cars but that is a high mileage, it's worth £400 of anyone's money just drive it till it pops then trade it in