Big brakes

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britton

Reaction score
Hi, I don't no anything about cars lol
But I was looking at some k sport brakes for my twingo 133
304mm, just asking if anyone has done this?
And does it fit??

The original front discs are 280mm. Unless these 304mm discs come with different calipers (or spacer brackets) then no, they wont fit.

Yotah has some big discs and 4pots, more by necessity than looks alone, but the originals served him well just the pads were expensive and take a bit longer to change compared to the Brembos

Thanks, yes more for looks than anything else,
I was looking at the 304mm k-sport brakes, but not sure if they will
Fit. All I want to do is to have calipers and discs fit fill my 17s right up ;) lol

Britton":3hi2auze said:
Thanks, yes more for looks than anything else,
I was looking at the 304mm k-sport brakes, but not sure if they will
Fit. All I want to do is to have calipers and discs fit fill my 17s right up ;) lol

Bit of an expensive mod if you just want it for aesthetic reasons, cheaper short term and long term to just get smaller lighter wheels.

I have the Megane RS 2 Brembo 4 pistons calipers on Twingo R2 brackets and AP Racing 300mm discs. The brackets need adjusting to fit on the Twingo hubs and overall and i paid 1300€ for these, and unless you have cash you don't need or you want to track the car a lot, it's stupid to want them just for show...

firstly, let's get this idea out of everyones head that this is 'stupid', putting bigger bakes onto your car makes it stop more efficiently there is no other way to word that! it doesn't make economical sense, but that doesn't really make the boy stupid.it is what it is. the OP wants to do it for cosmetic reasons, but you should be aware that the conversion you'll need to undertake will cost you at least a grand for a big brake kit from say AP racing or an alternative set up from another company. you will require a new caliper carrier, new caliper, new discs and possibly a new hub (you can convert to a 172 hub if you wish) to make the big brake kits readily available. if you've got the cash, do it mate! :)

Threads pointless anyway OP won't be interested once he looks at the cost for just wanting the brakes to fill the wheels more.

But it is stupid as the car only had a small 133bhp so does not need large brakes whatsoever as the standard setup with uprated pads will stop better than your average car on the road anyway, its overkill and will cost a hell of a lot more in general.

waitey":23i3i1i8 said:
Threads pointless anyway OP won't be interested once he looks at the cost for just wanting the brakes to fill the wheels more.

But it is stupid as the car only had a small 133bhp so does not need large brakes whatsoever as the standard setup with uprated pads will stop better than your average car on the road anyway, its overkill and will cost a hell of a lot more in general.
A bit presumptuous being as one of the first lines was "I've been looking at..." . it s pretty easy to stumble upon a price, yet he still posted, so may not be as bothered about the cost as you think :?

Agreed, they aren't really needed unless your doing a fair bit of track work, as factory spec is quite good for the amount of bite they can give. R1 and R2 used the same setup with CL pads, before the R2 and R2evo were speced with bigger discs and 4pot calipers.

Best to find out if the caliper pistons have dust seals as road use and long term reliability will be more important for you than a Time Attack motor which will get regularly checked. With 6 or 8pots, that's a whole lot more to start sticking than the originals or even Brembo 4s.

Do agree though, that as good as the standard breaks are, they look a bit weedy. The rear disks especially look a bit on the small side. There is no way I can afford to do what Yotah has done, but as Waitey suggests I'm going to fit some 16" Speedlines through Ktec in the not too distant future. This should improve the appearance by filling the wheel a bit more.

one thing to take into account is that you can have the best brakes in the world, but the car behind you won't. BANG!

yotah1":j5j9qsj0 said:
I have the Megane RS 2 Brembo 4 pistons calipers on Twingo R2 brackets and AP Racing 300mm discs. The brackets need adjusting to fit on the Twingo hubs and overall and i paid 1300€ for these, and unless you have cash you don't need or you want to track the car a lot, it's stupid to want them just for show...

Are your discs 27 or 28mm thick?

The APs are 300x27mm.

One thing people keep forgetting : bigger brakes offer better braking power, but if you stick with standard tires, you can have all the braking power you want, if you go beyond the grip capacity of the tire, it's pointless you won't brake better than stock. It will look better on the car yes, but if I'm honest, I really couldn't care less if that was the only reason for me to drop more than 1000€ in the car. I only get the benefit of the 4 pot calipers on bigger discs when I'm running semi slicks, as the road tires, even though they're good, just can't really handle the extra braking power...

I agree that the stock discs look a bit small (the caliper being a floating one doesn't help, as imo the 280mm discs are already big enough when you look at them), but really, 1000€, I'd think about it twice. I needed it for track use, and only because I'm a very late and very hard braker.

yotah1":1kzq3m2u said:

At the minute I will not be using it on the track, it's for looks, but in the long term I would love to put it on the track, that's why I want to go for bigger brakes
But I will be looking at the brembo's. An yes it's only 133 Bhp but I will be getting the works done to it. And I don't want to do the works until the brakes are done first :)
But thanks all for your help, :)

Remember that as you modify the Twingo you are likely to save weight which will aid braking performance. Seats and wheels are key areas you can save upwards of 60 kg's. Personally I feel the standard brakes are already strong and I'm far more competitive under braking than I am accelerating down straights. My money is going on horses and trimming fat before any serious brake upgrades.

Though.... when they need replacing due to regular ware and tare I will spend a little more and upgrade to the Brembo disks and uprated pads that K-Tec sell.

I run RS133 built by RS to order in LHD for use in Philippines.

We use RS200 calipers, RS brackets, RS200 rotors, RS 200 brake hose as its Banjo fitting. We use solid and two peace rotors subject to hill climb conditions. The RS17 wheels will not fit after this conversion so take this into consideration. You need spacers but thats cheap and nasty so we use the EV0 16 wheel for gravel and tarmac. We use RK and RX tyres.

Our brembo kits are traded back to Brembo and total upgrade without wheels cost 750 UK pounds. For two peace just add another 250 pounds

dbmes":kkmqxp42 said:
I run RS133 built by RS to order in LHD for use in Philippines.

We use RS200 calipers, RS brackets, RS200 rotors, RS 200 brake hose as its Banjo fitting. We use solid and two peace rotors subject to hill climb conditions. The RS17 wheels will not fit after this conversion so take this into consideration. You need spacers but thats cheap and nasty so we use the EV0 16 wheel for gravel and tarmac. We use RK and RX tyres.

Our brembo kits are traded back to Brembo and total upgrade without wheels cost 750 UK pounds. For two peace just add another 250 pounds

Interesting to know that, I’ve got brembo megane 225 brakes to go on. But need to decide on a wheel to go over it first. Are yours the EVO corse 16?

Edited,

Yes we use EVO course wheels on our R1 and R2 and RS133. The stock wheels it came on (17") would need spacers.

We only use RX5 or RX7 TYRE RENAULT TWINGO R2
195/60/16. These are motorsport tyres. We also use Conti Sport Contact 3 (195/40/17). However these tyres grip like glue but we get alot of wheel damage due to low profile.

We cnc our own brackets and any machine can make them from Billet alloy for £15 each, if have a sample bracket. If can do that it save alot of money.

I've read comments and I go on to say that the standard brakes even on our R1 even with soft pads/ high temp are no good for track days. They do fade out quickly and start over heating the hubs. Once we convert to Brembo kit we never get any issues. Thats my few cents of info

I have all reno part numbers and i post later.

I have 21 EVO wheels arriving in the UK with and without tyres in 1st week of January for repainting for 2018. If you need a set or want to test a set.
I also have new set if you need urgent with RX or RK 5 tyres

dbmes":jvw4klby said:
I have 21 EVO wheels arriving in the UK with and without tyres in 1st week of January for repainting for 2018. If you need a set or want to test a set.
I also have new set if you need urgent with RX or RK 5 tyres

No rush for wheels at the moment, need to get car mapped first. How much would a set cost me roughly? Where abouts in the UK will they be?