Viewing a twingo 133 this weekend, possibly buying.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A5HL3Y

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my names Ashley, 19 and currently an apprentice engineer. I have a Citroën C2 and am hopefully upgrading to a twingo RS this weekend, has been a long time saving and now ready to purchase one. Just looking for a bit of advice as for what may be in store, had a look online and through the forum, what are some common faults that any of you have had, Also what is a rough price for a Cambelt change and service, the car in viewing is at 64k miles so it is due for a change.
Thanks for any help, hopefully will be in it by next week

Haven’t really had too many problems with them really. People have issues with misfires which is usually a spark plug or coil gone down due to water ingress through the scuttle panel. That’s easily fixed though.

Rough price on belt change is 5/600£ that will include depahser which is the most expensive part. Best to get oil/filter changed while you’re there as they may do a deal for the lot.

I’m actually selling my one now, you’ll find it in the sales section on here or on eBay.

OK, I've read that some people just get a but unlucky and have had a few problem. I'll try check that out and keep an eye on problems with the scuttle panel.

I think the car is ready for a Cambelt change so I'll have that extra price tag to look forward pretty soon.

I did have a look at yours for sale, brilliant condition and well looked after, would have been perfect as I also live in Norfolk, but I'm still a young driver so, just got 2 years NC but gonna stay away from any cars that have been written off due to insurance prices.

Thanks for the info Dave.

They’re due every 7 years now, I believe Renault changed this service date as obviously they’ve been able to improve quality of the parts they use nowadays. The dephaser rarely goes wrong anymore.

No worries about my one though! I got it when I was 19 and my insurance was around 1400£ I believe, just for a guide for yourself there.

Welcome!

Look for water ingress around the rightmost plug - take off the coil and see if it's rusty/brown on the outside. If it's bad I'd walk away or really knock down the price - water in the plug hole for a few years can ultimately rust out the manifold.

Jack up the front and see if there's any lateral play in the wheels. New balljoints if so, c£400 to replace.

Reverse the car turning the steering lock to lock and listen for any grinding from the electric PAS motor. Uually fixable by greaing the column and lower boot behind the clutch pedal but if it's too far gone you'll need a new column/motor at around a grand.

Check the boot drops and locks properly. No big deal as the strike plate can be repositioned but it's a common issue.

Make sure you get the engine warm then drive it in second until you hit maximum RPM. The green "shift" light should appear. Make sure no other lights come on at the same time!

Check all electrics.

Check the oil and service logs, look for any leaks or note any burning smells when driving it hard.

The usual panel gaps - should be even all round.

Then buy it anyway - best car I've ever owned (and I'm an old c**t)! :)