197 Owner... 133 as a Daily?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSLove

Reaction score
Hey there Twingo freaks,

I currently own a Clio 197 and love it to bits, so much that I can't bring myself to use it for commuting on London roads anymore. I'm thinking of buying a small run around and of course being a lover of Renault Sport, the Twingo 133 is the obvious choice.

My main questions are to do with the car being suitable as a daily... beyond the 197's cute looks, it has a highly tuned engine making it a rough car to drive around town. I'd like to save the 197 for weekend B-Road blasts and keep the mileage low as I plan on holding onto it for life.

Naturally I want to go for a Twingo with cup pack so it's extra sharp and nimble. I recall JC's review saying that it handles bumps in the road quite well, I assume as it's so light. If anyone could confirm this is the case, or perhaps I should go with the standard suspension. As I'd like to use it as a daily I'd prefer it to still have A/C but could lvie without it. I'm also 6,4" so wondering if I'll even fit in there comfortably.

I've read PH's buyers guide and seems like the usual things to look out for - suspension bushes, engine mount, dodgy gear changes. Also on the body the tailgate handle, water ingress into the cabin around the scuttle and the dash dispaly lights.

If you have any suggestions or comments please share.

Many thanks...

Hi

Im hopefully going to pick up my new Twingo Silverstone on Saturday.
But from test driving a fair few, my comments are
Not all 'cups' have cup suspension, seems like a few have had broken springs in their lives, and not always replaced like for like. But most comfortable car i drive was a Cup car, but fitted with Suplex replacement springs. One to avoid H&R as the one i tried was almost coil bound.

So id just say look at the cars and see how they feel.

As for interior space, I'm 6'2 and i just about fit... seat is right back.
But then i may fit a racing seat and do some hillclimbs...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun, I'll keep an eye out to see how you get on with it...

I can fit (somewhat) in Ford Ka's, Citroen C1's and the Suzuki Celerio so may be alright for space.

I'm worried that I may love the Twingo so much I then favor it over the 197 on weekends, leaving the 197 to be used where it can really only can be as intended - the track. I do love small cars where you can find the limit easily and while it's a small car, finding the limit with a 197 on roads is impossible 99% of the time.

Hope you enjoy your new car Stevie

The Twingo 133 Cup is a blast. Superb little car that you have to ‘drive’. Very sharp assuming you get the cup suspension, I’m 1.93m and no problems with room.

I’ve driven Clio 200 and they are great cars but it almost like you aren’t engaged as much as in the Twingo 133 - I suppose it’s the sensation of speed in small car much like doing 25mph in a go-kart is fast. Cheap as chips to run - insurance and tax about £400 a year and 35mph.

The cup suspension is a must. I’ve taken Abarth 595 Competizione 180bhp out and whist they are much quicker in a straight line, they aren’t even close to the Twingo Cup round corners or down a B road.

Ball mount rubbers on phase 1 are the main fault. Ive have no leaks on both mine. Phase 2 are cheaper tax (lower co2) and the engine runs smoother through the Rev range and clutch lighter.

Hope you find a good one.