133 or a 197 Meg conversion?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilio1978

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, I've not got a Twingo 133 at the moment, been to see a few and am 90% set on getting one for a few reasons:

Current car is a Mk2 Focus ST225, running 320 mods, awesome in a straight line but too wallowy on bends/track despite coilovers, braces, ARB etc and good track tyres.
It also seems to be an alcoholic with an average 17mpg, possibly due to a lead right foot as well!

The Twingo appears to be at least double the economy and also will be cheaper on tyres, brakes and hopefully parts in general.

Cup pack etc not important as I'd probably put some decent coilovers and track tyres on, manifold, decat, exhaust. Intake, cams and a map. Plus track seats and possibly a cage for track use but would still use for drives out.

Obviously a big drop on power from my current but its not always about that, no use in power if it goes round a bend like a barge!

The 5 pot ST makes some awesome noise which is a big part of the thrill of it.

My dilemma is I've come across a 197 with a Megane 225 conversion that's already loaded with coilovers and poly bushes etc, just needs seats and tyres and it's ready to rock. I was figuring it's 280bhp plus a weight of 1250g ish will make it equally as quick as the ST with the added bonus of handling pretty sweet.

However, I'm assuming the R225 engine will be nearly as thirsty as the ST so this is the only drawback and what brings me back to the Twingo being cheaper to run.

Not drove either yet but am here to see what you guys thoughts are? Obviously your the experts on the 133! A 280bhp 197 must be good surely?

Convince me or otherwise!

Cheers.

This forum is very quite! But I will give you my thoughts.
Try the Clio first the mpg will be higher compared to the focus, Mégane 225's will see 40mpg on a run and the Clio will be a good chunk lighter.
The problem with the twingo is good performance parts (lots of cheap shit) and knowledge as they are not as well supported as the rest of the Renault Sport cars.
As much as I love my Twingo (its a rally car) sounds like you want more than the wee twingo can offer.
It would be worth trying both and see what you think thought.

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty torn between having a bit of power and something that's cheaper to run.

As the wife says, I've too many expensive hobbies and it would also be nice to go out for an all day spin without worrying about the fuel gauge!

Guess I'm gonna have to test drive both to decide.

Down the right b road there is not a lot will catch a 133 as it will out handle most things on the road they are just not that quick in a straight line.
If you get a cup it's also lightweight as well completely different to the focus.

Yeah, the ST is a big old lump, awesome pace and sound in a straight line. I have a couple of mates with 182's, one who races and I struggle to keep up on track as by the time I've got round a bend and back up to speed they're gone!

I've been eyeing up the Ktec 163 upgrade, now that with a bit of weight saving would ild be very interesting!

Anyone had a bash of a 163?

Neilio1978":2lwi0hf3 said:
Yeah, the ST is a big old lump, awesome pace and sound in a straight line. I have a couple of mates with 182's, one who races and I struggle to keep up on track as by the time I've got round a bend and back up to speed they're gone!

I've been eyeing up the Ktec 163 upgrade, now that with a bit of weight saving would ild be very interesting!

I'd recommend heading over to the facebook page which is much more active! Twingo Owners Club

I'd take the K-tec 163 upgrade with a massive pinch of salt. Most I've seen have been running around 150bhp with the 163 upgrade. If you want to see what it takes to make power in a 133 please look over Singlespeed's Progress Thread as he has gone the furthest on the 133 engine block.

Honestly the 197 with the 225 swap seems to be a perfect swap as they seem to get low 30's/high 20's in mpg on a good run and have the potential to quite easily make 300bhp+

Neilio1978":2ilvk3zp said:

Mine has cams, manifold, very free flowing exhaust ect and is 900kg and is fun put it that way :)

Mr Bushrat,

Don't suppose you've had a dyno?

Assume yours is fully stripped out, poly windows etc?

900kg sounds fun!

It's going back on the dyno again soon as it was hashed before and I ain't happy with it.
Its pretty stripped now but there is always more to come out and my cage is pretty much over kill. There is a build thread on another forum I can pm you if you want the link.

mrbushrat":b7khipk3 said:
It's going back on the dyno again soon as it was hashed before and I ain't happy with it.
Its pretty stripped now but there is always more to come out and my cage is pretty much over kill. There is a build thread on another forum I can pm you if you want the link.

A link would be awesome thanks!

As above perhaps the 163 is hopeful but I imagine a solid 150+ is fairly attainable?

My ST is quite often sat on the drive needing new tyres/parts for track days not to mention the fuel cost which is the big attraction of the Twingo. Last time I went Anglesey it cost me 4 tanks of fuel inc the track time whilst my mates Clios did it there, on track and back in just over 2 tanks. A quick 50 mile blast up yonder hills can chew £20 fuel or more easily!

A Twingo will mean I can get out more often on the road and a full cage (and fire extinguisher, cut offs etc) will be on the cards as I may look at getting my ARDS test done and doing a few races if it proves itself.