Camber adjustment with Eibach excentric bolts

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeed

Reaction score
After lowering the car a few weeks back, I had the allignment checked which showed a difference between left/right front camber angles, with -1deg 40min left and -0deg 38min right (with 1deg being 60minutes). In the wet, the Dini has never realy inspired full confidence and around right handers whilst left handers had seemed fine and dropping it has increased the feeling variation as dry grip has always been good around a right hander... Hardly surprising with the nearly a degree difference side to side.

Heres a 14mm excentric bolt, (as in the maximum diameter is across the cam is 14mm).
6961601557_3221380367_z_d.jpg

With the bolt turned, the cam is now opposite the tab on the inside of the washer, so it becomes 17mm wide.
6815484632_bbf94a0405_z_d.jpg

With the camber bolt loosely instaled and the lower original bolt slackened to allow the upright to move, ready to adjust.
6815489350_f989902e91_z_d.jpg

Here, the tab on the washer is on the outer side of the suspension strut. Rotating the bolt clockwise will move the cam away from the tab, which will push the top of the hub carrier inwards, increasing the -ve camber.
6961603645_400ece7da0_z_d.jpg

Over 573mm, 1 degree is approx 10mm.
So, taking a spirit level, tape measure, 10mm drill bit and a suitable vertical door frame, I measured off 573mm from the floor.
With the drill bit positioned at the 573mm mark, I rested the spirit level against the bottom of the frame and the drill bit, so the spirit level is now resting at 1deg from vertical.
Setting the adjustable bubble to dead center means it is now set to 1deg and the spirit level can now be used across the wheel for a rough setting.
I have now set both fronts close to -1deg . which will be close enough untill I get the allignment checked again next week

Mind = Blown. :)

What car was the camber bolts designed for?- They are a generic bolt that could be used on any car with the same strut mounting and 14mm bolts. Kam Racing list them for the Clio mk2 rs

Did you do rears as well? - the rear is fairly even about 0.75deg either side and the shims avaliable make too large a difference to bother with for me

I considered the ajustable top mounts but that would mean taking the dampers off again and having the scuttle off for adjustments, plus, I beleive drilling the strut tops, besides being rather expensive. I'll see how well the geometry looks with the bolts first.

Before camber bolts being fitted, with a fairly large difference in camber. 1 degree = 60 minutes.
6976592745_44d86140be_b_d.jpg

DIY allignment now checked and prety much spot on, which wasn't realy worth while trying to adjust anymore :)
6976593315_5d9fb98888_b_d.jpg

Not bad for a spirit level, tape measure, ruler and some string. Instead of £10K worth of laser allignment equipment :cool:

Hi,
I´m from Canary Islands and I need a pair of exentric bolts in the front of my 133 twingo.
Where can I buy them , and... clio 172/182 bolts are the same??... looking forward to hearing from your answer.

Welcome.

Yes, the excentric bolts I fitted could be used on a 172/182... Infact, they could be used on many cars which have 14mm bolts to connect the damper to the upright. Think VW Audi...

www.kamracing.co.uk is where mine came from, at the time they were half the price of K-tec. But shipping costs from the UK may be expensive for yourself

JE_GT":15arb939 said:
Are they still the same size for GT's/Non RS Twingo's?
I don't know... They could be 12mm bolts on the 1.2 models, so worth while checking first

The bolt has a cam on it. Rotate it one way and you get negative camber, rotate the other way and you get positive camber by tilting the hub/shock absorber part of the car

JE_GT":2rosllgc said:
The bolt has a cam on it. Rotate it one way and you get negative camber, rotate the other way and you get positive camber by tilting the hub/shock absorber part of the car

Right okay, so its useful if your wheels are took big or wide or your too low basicly?

Um, I think that combined with adjustable camber top mounts would work but the bolt on its own wouldnt really make a massive difference visually

BlackTwingo-i":29boofb6 said:
JE_GT":29boofb6 said:

Right okay, so its useful if your wheels are took big or wide or your too low basicly?

Think its more for handling mate.