Steering noise

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleggmeisterRS

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've mentioned this in another thread but wanted to start something more specific to the issue. Googling it reveals a number of people have experienced it, some have had their steering replaced under warranty.

When manoeuvring at low speeds, generally when the car is cold, turning the wheel produces a "grinding" noise, The noise comes from just behind/below the wheel itself, which is where the power steering gubbins lives.

I noticed this first last summer, when it was much worse - like gravel in a washing machine. Raising/lowering the column stopped it, so I thought nothing more of it and it duly went away.

Last night I removed the cowling from the steering column (not a big job - two torx screws from beneath, remove the flap at the rear of the rev counter and remove the rev counter then gently but firmly separate the upper and lower cowling) and had a rummage around. Nothing to see really - lots of cables, the column itself and the PAS motor/sensors which look pretty well sealed.

I used spray grease on the column joints (upper before the PAS motor and lower, near the clutch pedal), removed and reseated all the cables/connectors I could easily locate, and put it all back together.

The noise remains unfortunately. It's intermittent but maybe becoming more prevalent. I can only guess it's coming from the motor or PAS mechanisms which seem sealed, Since the car is out of warranty (13 plate) I don't relish the thought of a new column/mech, but I am happy to get the spanners out if anyone has any experience or suggestions as to the root cause? In my minds' eye its bits of metal or debris in some gear teeth, though I hope this is just my overactive imagination.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Cleggy.

I have the same issue myself, literally once I have let the car run for a couple of minutes before driving, I drive around the first corner it's always makes the grinding noise/tapping noise then goes away instantly, it has never been a problem for me and my steering seems healthy and the car is healthy think it may just be the cars natural noise. My car is a facelift 2012 RS, so maybe worth asking whether any of previous facelift models are having the problem or whether it is just facelift

Thanks for that. A wee update - I removed all the cowling and greased the column at the joints, also at the lift/lower mechanism. Immediately after the noise was still apparent however a few days later the noise went away and hasn't been heard for several days now. Weird. I suspect it's coming from the PAS motor (which I didn't grease) but I'll leave alone unless it returns...

Sounds like you've sorted it :cool:

Mine is also 2012 but pre facelift.

Quiet as a mouse for now, it's had a recall for wishbones but that's it I think.

Glad I'm not alone- I've noticed the same thing in the last week- creaking/grinding noise with with slight vibrations when at crawling speeds stuck in traffic.

I've a 2011 plate 133 so pre-facelift :|

Hey Kenny, get a can of spray grease on the joints in the column, especially in the drivers footwell. It's sorted mine buddy and we all share the same steering column.

cleggmeister":23gq1bqu said:
Hey Kenny, get a can of spray grease on the joints in the column, especially in the drivers footwell. It's sorted mine buddy and we all share the same steering column.
Thanks, shall give this a go :)