Cambelt change

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new here and thinking about buying a twingo133.
I live in Sweden where these cars are very rare and the info about these cars are poor. If im correct the belt change is at 72000 miles (eq 115000km) or 6 years? So the main question is how much is the change in UK or what ever country you live in? is it hard to do it your self, i've heard of de mounting (removing) the engine?

Cheers!

so no one has ever replaces the cambelt or have any idea of the costs involved?

I don't think anyone on the forum has replaced the belts yet.

The parts for cambelt and tensioner etc, Waterpump and aux belt change were about £280. You also need the camshaft timing tools to lock the cams/crank

What milage are they changed at? 40k? as mines approaching 30k and need to start figuring out how long until its required

Mines a 58 plate and the cambelt change is due at 72k miles or 6 years.
It'll be 4 yrs old in September so 2 yrs away from cambelt change.
The cars only done 10k miles but it'll still need to be changed even though I've not done 72k miles.

i would say its best to change tho you havnt done alot of miles the belt may degrade over time

Mine was replaced last year at 90.594 kilometers and is of 04/2009... So 2,5 years! Why? There was a noise coming from the accessories belt tensioner. Normally this is due for 120.000 kilometers or 6 year. But hey is this can break, so can the timing belt and since the engine had to come out...

I wouldn't do it myself, not much room and you need a kit or similar. Just marking the pulleys isn't going to be precise in my opinion...

singlespeed":sgyq59g7 said:
I don't think anyone on the forum has replaced the belts yet.

The parts for cambelt and tensioner etc, Waterpump and aux belt change were about £280. You also need the camshaft timing tools to lock the cams/crank

I did! 756,88 at a Renault dealer: 5 hours work, both belts, pulleys, fluids and water pump!

1975DCS":3e7arwug said:
waitey":3e7arwug said:
Was that £756!!!!! if so my GT is up for sale next year.

Euro's! But including both belts, water pump and pulleys, in other words the proper way to it...

That's still ~£600. Quite the service bill.

DrDrew":3v36s6ku said:
1975DCS":3v36s6ku said:
waitey":3v36s6ku said:
Was that £756!!!!! if so my GT is up for sale next year.

Euro's! But including both belts, water pump and pulleys, in other words the proper way to it...

That's still ~£600. Quite the service bill.

Ok, but that's not a reason to sell a car? Most other cars have belts, so one day... Cars do cost money, not a surprise here... Too bad, mine came in way to early! Otherwise every 6 years is 100 pound per year...

Yeah, I'm not saying it's unexpectedly huge, just quite a big bill. Not a reason on its own to sell a car I'd agree.

DrDrew":1qw3t9lq said:
Yeah, I'm not saying it's unexpectedly huge, just quite a big bill. Not a reason on its own to sell a car I'd agree.

Yeah all other options will cost you more, or make you get an older car...

1975DCS":35zjlylk said:
DrDrew":35zjlylk said:

Yeah all other options will cost you more, or make you get an older car...

No I understand that but was told it would be about £350, plus when it's due I will be in a position to upgrade to a MCS or EK9 so rather than forking out £600 on the belts is rather sell the car then :lol:

does the GT need all the parts that the RS gets? Is access to the belt side as tight as the RS.

Could be the difference in price